Collection of Instrument Definitions

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 4/26/2021 at 2:30 PM, Clovis Ramsay said:

I have not used the majority of them (perhaps in another life), but I do hope they bring you much joy and utility for your musical endeavors. 

Instrument Definitions Collection 

Thank you for this.

I see that the .ins file for my Kurzweil SP4-7 is not included so I tried (my very first attempt ever) to make my own following the format of the Kurzweil PC88MX which has a quite a few different sounds or programs however...

Then it opens using Notepad on windows and doesn't have the option of saving the edited document in .ins file format meaning it doesn't show up when I try to import it into Cakewalk.

I also don't know where to get the MIDI drum maps and the names of the drums either.

Lastly, how do I more programs beyond the initial 0-127 because I have all the extra programmes from Kurzweil which I uploaded to my keyboard via USB?

Can somebody help me with this?

• 3 months later...
On 10/30/2022 at 7:37 AM, Iron Fist Entertainment PTY LT said:

Then it opens using Notepad on windows and doesn't have the option of saving the edited document in .ins file format meaning it doesn't show up when I try to import it into Cakewalk.

I also don't know where to get the MIDI drum maps and the names of the drums either.

Lastly, how do I more programs beyond the initial 0-127 because I have all the extra programmes from Kurzweil which I uploaded to my keyboard via USB?

Can somebody help me with this?

-I am by no means a master code writer, as there are those who can master a text file compilation task such as these .ins files with ease, and setting these up can be a real time suck (which pays off later though) for us normal people, but one thing I am familiar with - when using basic notepad in Windows, you have to change the "save as {file) type" selection box in notepad to "all files", after which you just literally add the .ins to the file name, and save. -Or, take the normal text file version you may have saved instead, and providing you turned on viewing common file type extensions in Windows File Explorer settings, manually rename the extension from .txt to .ins - and say "OK"... etc.

MIDI drum maps are similar, but different, and also often time sucking beasts to set up initially.

In MIDI, which the .ins files we are discussing relate to, there are notes, patches, and banks. You will find that instrument definitions use the same structure, so for instance, if you have more than 127 patches, they need to be spread into two or more banks (of 127 max). -For fun - many old devices had different "banks" structures for their local storage, mostly because buttons were expensive, and MIDI hadn't become a big standard yet! I think the Prophet 5 used banks of 8, for instance.  -But I digress. Learn the structure of the ,ins file, and you will see how it all makes sense, and you can add more than 127 programs to a definition using banks.  I hope that helps!

• 9 months later...