Shopping for a new USB Audio/MIDI interface - needs to support streaming and also USB MIDI

cwiggins999

I've been using an iConnectivity Audio4+ interface for several years now with my Windows systems. I like everything about it except that I haven't been able to get its output to stream to Facebook Live, YouTube, or even OBS Studio. There seems to be something specific to my device, as it has failed to work on two computers, and the iConnectivity rep has used my config and gotten his supposedly identical device to work. So I'm giving up on some of the cool features - like being able to connect to both an iPad and PC at the same time (routing audio between them) that I rarely use, since I want to do more live streaming with high quality audio.

So I'm looking for recommendations that fit the following "specs":

- 4 analog mic/instrument inputs
- 2 analog outputs are enough, but 4 would be fine
- A USB MIDI port in addition to the standard MIDI in/out, and in addition to the USB-to-PC port.

Thanks!

Best place to look is Sweetwater or Musicians Friend. You don’t have to buy from them but they have most brands and reviews you can read. 

For streaming from your Daw you want a loop back option which many of the new models have now
I bought a Motu M4 which has this feature and it’s been great for screen capture from Cakewalk. 
it doesn’t have 4 XLR but has line inputs on the back I feed with a 6 channel mixer. 
I also really like all Focusrite products. They not only use good quality drivers but they come with the most free goodies of anyone else. 

Thanks, John. My Audio4+ is supposed to support the loop back mode, but have never gotten it to work, even with iConnectivity tech support help. Going to give it one more try this week, then punt. I have an old 1st gen Scarlett 6i6 around, but one reason I moved to the Audio4+ was that I thought the Scarlett preamps were rather weak when used with dynamic non-phantom powered mics. But I might give their 3rd gen a try. I'm still hoping to find an interface with USB MIDI port built in - like the Audio4+ has, and one other I've found from Presonus - the AudioBox iTwo. That one is about 6 years old, so hoping some newer ones have that feature. It's been great to plug in my controller of choice - Yamaha P125 piano, which just has USB MIDI - without needing an additional hub when I'm using my laptop as my slightly mobile DAW.

And...my urgency for this has gone down tremendously in the last few minutes. Finally tried something that shouldn't have made any difference according to docs and tech reps. The Audio4+ has 2 USB device ports - so you can have 2 computers or iOS devices hooked up simultaneously and exchanging audio digitally rather than using analog ins/outs. The recommended port for computer is USB 2 - but I just happened to try switching to USB2 as a last resort, and it works! Long back story, but a good outcome.

• Like 1

I also have a 1st Gen Scarlett 6i6 and I agree about the pre amps. I ended up buying a Joe Meek three Q pre amp which solved that issue. Otherwise it's still a great interface. I would have upgraded to the 3rd gen but they no longer make the 6i6. You have to go to the 8i6 to get the same features like SPDIF and it's a lot more $$. I should have done that but I cheeped out and thought the Motu M4 had more stuff than the Scarlett 4i4 and was a few buck cheaper. The Motu does have nice pre amps and I like the meters and the Loopback. Only issue is it uses only bus power.   there's not power supply, It wasn't working at first and support told me I needed to upgrade my USB 3 ports so I had to spend $35 on a PCIe USB 3 card. So much for cheaper.