Vocals sound too quiet when I d things by the book!

The video was on my possible to do list and I bumped up production thinking it might just be what you needed. My methods are probably not approved by the big guns but I don't care, it works for me and seems like it worked for you too. 

Ya, that old turn up you monitor thing often gets me as well.  I used to have little white out marks on my old Power amp and I always set my other controls at 12 o clock and leave them there. My new power amp needs me to put that white out line on it soon! But I use the You lean Meter to tell me what my getting deaf now ears don't. I was tested last year at Costco and they said I "should" be wearing hearing aids. Phooey on that. I can hear my wife yelling at me same as always. ANd I can always move that white line up a few more db :) 

Cheers John. My youth was (mis) spent in loud Rock Bands and watching  Jethro Tull or Queen at Newcastle City Hall right next to the speakers, have also taken their toll on my ears. For days our ears were ringing after a concert, and being young we thought it was a huge joke and a badge of honour. Ah the stupidity of youth, how I miss it! 🙂