Using EZDrummer in Cakewalk

JamPro

Hello.  I am using the latest version of Cakewalk by BandLab (CWBL) in Win 7.

I am trying to figure out how to use EZDrummer in CWBL.  Specifically, I hope to use an external midi device to drive the EZDrummer sound engine - like using my midi keyboard or a CWBL midi track to trigger sounds in EZDrummer.

First off, it is not clear to me that EZDrummer will respond to external midi signals.  The manual has no information on this - tho' the EZDrummer interface does have a signal to indicate midi input.  EZDrummer does have its own midi sequencer built in, so EZDrummer uses midi to drive itself.  Does anyone know whether EZDrummer can respond to external midi input?

Second, EZDrummer is a virtual instrument and so must be hosted in a CWBL Audio Track.  And I am not sure how to route a midi signal to a CWBL Audio Track - I see no option on the audio track to do this.  Can someone explain to me how to set up CWBL to send midi signals to EZDrummer?

Thanks.   jmp

EZDrummer like almost all soft synths accepts MIDI input and this is enabled by default in CbB.

While adding synths to an audio FX rack does work and was the first method used for adding synths to SONAR decades ago, most synths should be added using the more modern ways of adding a synth that results in the plug-in going into the synth rack with an audio+MIDI track pair or an instrument track handling the plug-in I/O. 

There are several videos on Youtube about basic synth use in CbB. Consider reviewing them and/or reading about methods to add synths to project such as how the Add Track menu creates instrument tracks or how to use the synth rack and plug-in browser.

Adding synths to an audio FX rack should be reserved for synths that operate on audio data, such as Vocoders.

When it comes to sending MIDI data to plug-ins in the FX rack here is a general guide on how to do it

Thank you scook for your helpful reply.  You are correct that usually I will create an audio track first and then add the VSTi to the track's FX rack.  I will try your suggestions and report back if I get confused.