Custom colors vs. theme colors

Starship Krupa

I know that a UI color that has been customized via Preferences>Customization>Colors will override the same color as set in a theme. I also know that there are some UI colors that may only be customized via Preferences>Customization>Colors. Examples of the latter include Clips Pane/Vertical Beat Lines and Clips Pane/Vertical Measure Lines, which control the color of the vertical grid lines in the Track View Clips and Track View Bus Pane.

Has anyone made a list of which colors are exclusive to Color Preferences? The only ones I know of are the two I listed above.

If so, I'd like to see it, if not, it seems ripe for some "purpletration" testing.

(going through the list in Colors, there are bunches that I suspect are deprecated)

Edited by Starship Krupa

I went down the list in Preferences>Customization>Colors, and, using the search function in The Young Lady's Illustrated Primer, found the entries that seem to have no corresponding  entry in Theme Editor. There were more than I expected.

Some of them appear to be UI elements that don't have their own entry in Theme Editor but have been determined by Colin to follow other elements' entries. Whether changing them in Colors overrides only the named UI element and not the associated ones can be discovered via testing.

Not all of them are described in the unfortunately non-alphabetized documentation. At some point I might try Colin's "purpletrator" idea of changing these unlisted colors to eye-searing fluorescent in order to see what jumps out. Some of them are listed with description in the documentation but don't seem to have any corresponding actual UI element, like Folder Clip Text. One or more of them may have no effect on the UI element it is said to control. (such an entry is "Console Hardware Output Name Text")

One of my goals with this is to get a better handle on it so that I can offer Racing Green users a customized color set to go along with it. Vertical Beat Lines, Vertical Measure Lines, and Tempo Envelope (which has an entry in Theme Editor but only obeys its Colors entry) are especially of interest. I find the standard grid lines in both TV and PRV too dim.

Without further ado, here are the Colors entries that appear to have no direct counterpart in Theme Editor. Additions, subtractions, clarifications welcome:

AudioSnap Marker
AudioSnap Pool Member Marker
Vertical Beat Lines
Vertical Measure Lines
Bus Send Angle
Bus Send Focus
Bus Send Front/Rear Balance
Bus Send LFE
Bus Send Width
Clip Fades
Clip Gain Envelope
Clip Pan Envelope
Clip Velocity Envelope
Comp Header
Console Hardware Output Name Text (purpletrated and has no visible effect)
Disabled AudioSnap Marker
Drawing
Erasing
Event List ChanAftEvents
Event List Control Events
Event List KeyAft Events
Event List Note Events
Event List Patch Events
Event List Special Events
Event List Sysx Events
Event List Wheel Events
Events
First controller/surface channel number display
Folder Clip Background
Folder Clip Text
Folder Line
Fourth controller/surface color choice
Front/Rear Balance Envelope
Maximum stretched AudioSnap Marker
Musical Snap Pool Markers
Navigator rectangle
Note that is on
Peak Marker (<=0dB)
Peak Marker (>=0dB)
Peak Marker Text
Region FX Clip Background
Second controller/surface color choice
Snap Offset Markers
Snap To Scale Excluded Rows
Surround Angle Envelope
Surround Focus Envelope
Surround LFE Send Control/Envelope
Surround Width Envelope
Tempo Envelope
Third controller/surface color choice
Track View Bus Send Level X Control/Envelope
Track View Bus Send Pan X Control/Envelope
Track View MIDI Chorus
Track View MIDI Reverb Control/Envelope
Track View Mute Envelope
Track View Pan Control/Envelope
Track View Volume Control/Envelope
Values

Edited by Starship Krupa
spelling Colin's name correctly

7 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

One or more of them may have no effect on the UI element it is said to control. (such an entry is "Console Hardware Output Name Text")

One of the tough things about making a custom theme is the doggone hidden dependencies and (like in this case) outright dead end goose chases.  I have to find compromises where the text in one place and also in another is just, well... visible!

Edited by John Nelson

@Starship Krupa Thanks for doing this! The list of Colors in Preferences is a carryover from the pre-X series and many are now "broken" (non useable or misapplied).

The documentation list you linked to is now incomplete and contains colors no longer listed.

If colors are important to a theme you can set them how you like and create (export) a color list for that theme.

Cakewalk & Theme Editor both contain left-over, non-used graphics from previous Sonar versions as well.

Edited by sjoens