Unsolo all tracks

Rogério

• 8 months later...
59 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Could we please make Unsolo All bindable for keyboard shortcuts? It would really, really help my daily workflow. :)

How old is Sonar X1 LE? I got mine back in 2010 and been using the ALT+S keyboard shortcut ever since. 

There's also Alt+M for mute. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

ALT+S does work, but it toggles solo on the selected tracks.

So to un-solo all, you'd need to:

CTRL+A to select all
ALT+S  twice to un-solo  ( the first solo's everything, the second un-solos everything )

Thanks for chiming in @msmcleod! 😀

A few things to note about this:

1. This workaround obviously works, but is not that convenient for an action that is done so extremely often during all sessions.

2. The workaround does not always seem to work either, in fact I think I just found the cause of a bug: if one (or more) tracks are Archived, then the last ALT+S to unsolo everything does not work. I can reproduce it in a blank project, can you?

3. Our goal here, the "single-button-to-unsolo-everything" feature, is already present with a mouse click in the Control Bar. Do you think it would be a lot of work for the developers to make the same action available to bind to a key in Preferences / Keyboard Shortcuts? It would be the holy graal here! 🍹 (As I could not find a graal emoji, the tropical drink will have to do!)

Footnote: Archive is also one of those commands that is not keyboard bindable (yet)... but it would really rock if it was!

/The Cakewalk keyboard nerd 🤓

Edited by GreenLight
Added footnote about Archive not being keyboard bindable

Just leave the Mix module open on the control bar. One click. (now I see someone already said this - but the record hint below is still good)

image.png.1c89f8753d5b54c96194756bd4552e3e.png

This is also handy to show if there are any tracks set to record that you can't otherwise see in your current view. (Helps to be sure you don't record over something)

Check it to see if the red dot is lit before you hit record on your intended track.

Edited by rfssongs

1 hour ago, GreenLight said:

Thanks for chiming in @msmcleod! 😀

A few things to note about this:

1. This workaround obviously works, but is not that convenient for an action that is done so extremely often during all sessions.

2. The workaround does not always seem to work either, in fact I think I just found the cause of a bug: if one (or more) tracks are Archived, then the last ALT+S to unsolo everything does not work. I can reproduce it in a blank project, can you?

3. Our goal here, the "single-button-to-unsolo-everything" feature, is already present with a mouse click in the Control Bar. Do you think it would be a lot of work for the developers to make the same action available to bind to a key in Preferences / Keyboard Shortcuts? It would be the holy graal here! 🍹 (As I could not find a graal emoji, the tropical drink will have to do!)

Footnote: Archive is also one of those commands that is not keyboard bindable (yet)... but it would really rock if it was!

/The Cakewalk keyboard nerd 🤓

If you go into Preference and Keyboard Shortcut, with the Area box to global binding and search for "Solo' you get a few functions (including the SOLO ALL SELECTED TRACKS which will also "Unsolo them) to bind according to your preferred keys. 

30 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

If you go into Preference and Keyboard Shortcut, with the Area box to global binding and search for "Solo' you get a few functions (including the SOLO ALL SELECTED TRACKS which will also "Unsolo them) to bind according to your preferred keys. 

Absolutely, that is exactly what I have set for ALT + S. 😀

Can you reproduce this bug? If I Archive a track, I can no longer unsolo it with ALT+A, ALT+S, ALT+S.

See video below: first it works, but then with an Archived track, it doesn't work.

1254549909_Unsoloarchivedtrackbugv3.gif.9500a2796e46714c6795b4b15fe74e68.gif

1 hour ago, GreenLight said:

Absolutely, that is exactly what I have set for ALT + S. 😀

Can you reproduce this bug? If I Archive a track, I can no longer unsolo it with ALT+A, ALT+S, ALT+S.

See video below: first it works, but then with an Archived track, it doesn't work.

1254549909_Unsoloarchivedtrackbugv3.gif.9500a2796e46714c6795b4b15fe74e68.gif

Isn't it suppose to work that way? I use it from time-to-time, when I bounce a clip to track. 

I assume you're using it to free up Memory and CPU usage? So instead of removing the track cakewalk disable it by taking it out of memory. 

I have never had any other use for it other than for this purpose and then hiding the tracks. So to have the Solo button working means, that Cakewalk would have to make the tracks active again, placing it back in memory for it to work with solo, rendering its purpose flawed? I don't know. 🙆🏻‍♂️

But: to answer you, yes, it makes the track inactive to free up Memory my side too. Curious to know what's your use for it? 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Hehe, I am not sure that we really follow each other's reasoning... 😂

With the video above I only wanted to explain that if you have archived tracks in your project, they prevent you from using the suggested workaround for "unsolo all" (pressing ALT+A, ALT+S, ALT+S). Even hidden archived tracks seem to prevent it. We need a proper keyboard bindable "unsolo all" function. 🙂

27 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Hehe, I am not sure that we really follow each other's reasoning... 😂

With the video above I only wanted to explain that if you have archived tracks in your project, they prevent you from using the suggested workaround for "unsolo all" (pressing ALT+A, ALT+S, ALT+S). Even hidden archived tracks seem to prevent it. We need a proper keyboard bindable "unsolo all" function. 🙂

My mistake. I was rambling on and on that it slipped my mind. 

Yes, it renders the unsoloing in part broken.

It only solo'd the tracks. When all the active highlighted tracks were selected though, it worked as normal with the ALT+S. 

It solo'd and unsolo'd the tracks. 

When the Archive tracks were hidden everything worked as it should. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo

On 1/23/2022 at 8:40 PM, Rogério said:

You can all stop these questions by adopting my solution on the first post.

Hi @Rogério! Since your workaround involves automating keystrokes (Ctrl+A, Alt+S, Alt+S plus an additional Ctrl+Shift+A), you should run into problems with the second Alt+S if you have tracks with Archive status in your project. (I attached a video of the problem, reproduced in a blank project, see a couple of posts above.)

Could you please confirm if Archived tracks cause issues for your workaround as well? Thanks a lot! 😃

Edited by GreenLight

11 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Could you please confirm if Archived tracks cause issues for your workaround as well? Thanks a lot! 

@GreenLight 

What you're not doing is hidding the tracks. Test it again, by hidding your Archive tracks and try teh Alt+S on solo and unsolo. It works my side. 

9 minutes ago, Will_Kaydo said:

@GreenLight 

What you're not doing is hidding the tracks. Test it again, by hidding your Archive tracks and try teh Alt+S on solo and unsolo. It works my side. 

I actually tried with hidden archived tracks as well, but they still caused problems with the last Alt+S in the same way... weird that it doesn't cause issues for you. 🤔

But this means that you can confirm that the workaround doesn't work if you have (not hidden) Archived tracks in a project?