New vst and midi tracks not working

adam simm

Question

Hi,

I've been using cakewalk for about a year and had no issues, I had few people round the other day had a few to many shandys and must of messed with my preferences. All existing vsts work OK from old loaded projects but when I set up a new one they show an input but no sound. One thing I noticed is they come up just as midi track not with a keyboard symbol ike the other vsts, also when it clips ita showing as green instead of red. Ive uninstalled cakewalk then reinstalled but all the same. I'm looking at switching to another daw but really want to keep  cake walk. I'm OK tech while but not expert.

Thanks in advance 

Edited by adam simm

2 answers to this question

There are two basic track types in CbB:

• Audio - these have a wave icon
  • MIDI - these have a 5 pin DIN icon

Instrument tracks (a keyboard icon) is a special presentation of an audio+MIDI track pair.

Normally a synth requires at least one audio+MIDI track pair or an instrument track to handle the MIDI data consumed by the synths and the audio data generated by the synth.

When adding a synth plug-in into a project, all methods except the Add Track menu rely on the Insert Soft Synth Option Dialog for information about the tracks to add with the synth. The Add Track menu options are in the menu itself.

If the Insert Soft Synth Options dialog does not appear every time a synth is added to a project, the "Ask Every Time" option has been deselect. This may be restored by opening the dialog using the "Insert Synth" button in the synth rack and re-selecting "Ask Every Time".

After adding a synth to a project additional tracks may be added and connected to a synth. For example, after adding a synth with just a MIDI track, to complete the synth setup add at least one audio track and set its input to the synth. 

It is possible to create an instrument track by

• selecting the audio+MIDI track pair associated with a synth,
  • right-clicking either track header and 
  • selecting "Make Instrument Track"