Cakewalk does not see the headset

Aloe Duke

• 9 months later...

My headset is USB (a combo headphone and microphone) I had selected headset; but, was using the Scarlett2i2 for input.  Chose in Cakewalk the 2i2 for input (microphone), and USB headset for Output.  Everything recorded fine; and played through the Monitor, if I chose that device; but would not play through the headphones... Read  in this thread that perhaps the Windows bitrates were mismatched for USB (Cakewalk being 44100, and Windows default (48000) ; so after a bit of searching, I found and changed the bitrate setting and the USB headset worked!  If you don't know where this in on your Windows 10 computer; follow these steps.

1. In your system tray (Bottom Right).  Right Click the Speaker Icon

2. Left Click "Open Sound Settings"

3. Ensure your USB Device is listed as the default Device, if not select the device you're using and set as default.

4. Next, on the right side of the screen, click the option "System Control Panel"

3. A small pop-up window, titled "Sound" should appear (if you don't see it, minimize the larger windows until you see it;  it may be behind another window that is open, and it did not automatically pop to the top when selected.)  Every audio device your system recognized should appear here.

5. Select the USB device you're using as input or output (output USB Headset in my case), which should change color to indicate it is selected.

5. A new pop-up window opens, titled USB Headset properties, or whatever device you selected.

6. At the bottom right side of the window, Click "Properties".

6. Select the TAB, at the top, titled  "Advanced".

7. Here you will find the default (or previously selected) bitrate that Windows is using for that device. If the problem is a mismatched bitrate; it will be set to 48000 which is Windows default. Click the drop down box and select 44100, the bitrate for Cakewalk.

8. Your headset should now work if selected in the track for playback; if it does not; there may be an issue with the device; or you may need to select this device in Cakewalk/Preferences/Devices/Output Drivers/your device.

Although I'm a computer professional; even I forget where these settings are from time to time; I hope this helps. 🙂

• 11 months later...

I have regular headphones that plug into the minijack on my laptop.   My audio settings are both at 24 bit, 44100 in windows 11 and cake walk.  I can't get any cakewalk sounds through the headphones.   The sound always plays out of the speakers in cakewalk no matter what i've tried to do.  Side note, the headphones work properly when i use other apps like youtube.  The speakers mute and the sound comes through the headphones.    

The reason I'm trying to listen to cakewalk through my headphones is so that I can record vocals.

Any ideas are MUCH appreciated!