Adding Gifs to posts

Matthew Carr

Hi, anyone know what I'm doing wrong or if there's a workaround?

If I insert small gif in a post , say around ~250KB, it gets stored as a 5MB file in the forum

I've added a few Gifs in the past and not realised this was happening, and now I'm at my limit for attachments 😞

Don't really want to start deleting old Gifs, as it makes old posts non readable.

2 hours ago, scook said:

I prefer to upload images to an account I setup on https://imgur.com

Then link them to post here.

This avoids the forum quota issue entirely.

This is good to know, I was unaware that the limit was tied to how you inserted it. So what your saying is if we use the "insert other media" option the quota is avoided as apposed to dragging an image to the choose image box. I tried a GIF once and it wouldn't go due to the size limit. I thought GIF are perfect for quick tutorials. 

While were on the topic what is a good GIF screen capture software program to use? 

Gifs are perfect as they are optimised for size, and having video is sometimes so much easier than describing.  It's just weird that they get inflated by so much when you upload one - like it's being converted to a video format or something.

I tend to used ScreenToGif - free and does everything you could need.

Have just created and linked a gif on imgur, works ok, but not as immediate as having the gif displaying inside the post -  as you have to click through on the link

Edited by Matthew Carr
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2021 at 11:02 AM, John Vere said:

This is good to know, I was unaware that the limit was tied to how you inserted it. So what your saying is if we use the "insert other media" option the quota is avoided as apposed to dragging an image to the choose image box. I tried a GIF once and it wouldn't go due to the size limit. I thought GIF are perfect for quick tutorials. 

While were on the topic what is a good GIF screen capture software program to use? 

Yeah, there is 50MB quota.

I don't use any forum option to insert images into posts.

imgur.com provides a copy button for the BBCode to past directly info the post.

Once I upload a png or animated gif (the two formats I currently use) clicking on the image provides a list of copy options like this

BAOkR7N.png

Click the BBCode copy button and right-click & paste in the forum post.

ScreenToGif and LICEcap are both decent capture tools for animated gifs. I mostly use LICEcap because I started with it and it is simplier. But ScreenToGif can edit and add text to gifs so I grabbed its portable installer.

On 4/23/2021 at 11:18 AM, Matthew Carr said:

Have just created and linked a gif on imgur, works ok, but not as immediate as having the gif displaying inside the post -  as you have to click through on the link

It depends on how the link is added to the post. Using the method described above, images appear directly in  post. 

They also appear as created. The forum does not mess with linked imaged.

I have seen some post the url to the imgur page that hosts the image or the direct link to the image. As mentioned above, I use the BBCode copy option and paste it into posts to embed images.

• Like 2