mm

Question

I have been using Cakewalk by Bandlab for some time, and I never had a problem with it, until recently, after I did a Windows Update.  When I started up Cakewalk, I now get a message saying, 'There are no audio devices for the current driver model on your system.  Please do to Edit Preferences Audio Playback and Recording and choose a different driver model'.  I have always had ASIO selected under Driver mode.  Under Devices Input Drivers and Output Drivers, nothing is listed.  The issue is that I get no sound.  For other applications and programs, the sound is working fine.  I tried changing the driver mode to something different under Audio Devices, but I still get no sound.  My assumption is that after I did a Windows Update, something has changed where Cakewalk by Bandlab is no longer recognizing the audio driver.  How do I solve this problem?  

7 answers to this question

Try uninstalling and reinstall your drivers for your audio interface?

While you’re at it, make sure you’re using the latest version of all hardware drivers (check using manufacturer's websites rather than Windows updates)

One other thing, you might want to configure Windows not to touch any hardware drivers.

See:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

1 hour ago, mm said:

I have tried configuring Windows to not touch the hardware drivers (as Promidi suggested) before doing the Windows Update. 

This configuration only prevents quality updates touching the drivers.

If you have not run Windows update for at least 6 months, then you'll receive what’s known as a feature update (Say from 2004 to 20H2).  Feature updates do can still update drivers, even if this driver setting is configured not to update.

That being said, in all the times I have had Windows 10 (from 1511) I have only had a driver balk once (a few years ago).  Even then, all I had to do was uninstall and reinstall the driver.  The driver involved was my custom modified driver for the Edirol PCR-800.  Even recent feature updates leaves this driver alone now.

To report your issue to Cakewalk by Bandlab, See:

https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000025633

I solved the problem by doing a System Restore (which confirms the error was caused by the Windows Update).  I noticed that Cakewalk by Bandlab recognizes the driver installed on my computer as Realtek ASIO HD Audio.  When I go to the Control Panel and look at the installed programs, it says I have Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers.  Is this the same driver as Realtek ASIO HD Audio?  How can I check on my computer system that I have Realtek ASIO HD Audio installed?  I am asking in case I need to uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers (as suggested by Promidi) due to another error from the next Windows Update, and I want to make sure I am installing an ASIO driver.

Windows 10 update messed up my system too.

I had to reset the default MIDI device.  Fortunately the MIDI device I use has a built in MIDI Mapper since Microsoft-in-the-head removed the GUI to do that.

It looks like the update has change-for-the-sake-of-change minor GUI tweaks and an excuse for them install Edge on my system.   Which I promptly removed...I already have a browser.

I have tried configuring Windows to not touch the hardware drivers (as Promidi suggested) before doing the Windows Update.  However, after doing the Windows Update, the problem still re-occurred; so I did a System Restore again to fix the problem.  I think I can't always avoid doing a Windows Update.  I now realize that re-installing Realtek audio drivers should not work, because the driver it is already working properly with other applications on my computer.  I have checked that I am using the latest drivers.  This issue relates only with the Windows Update and Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I have installed the early access release of Cakewalk (as suggested by Noel Borthwick).  I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this problem and knows the fix?   Otherwise, is there a way to report this issue to Cakewalk by Bandlab?