EW Opus Orchestrator - capture midi into Cakewalk

Steve Harder

As far as I can tell, after just a couple of hours with Orchestrator, there is not a drag/drop  export midi capability currently.

But Opus does export midi.image.png.bb743b98468ee3ff5c958e366c46a130.png

To capture midi.

Play or draw midi on the Opus instrument track.

Then you Insert a Midi track, select Opus Midi Omni as input, select Record on the inserted midi track, and record the output of the Opus track.

Orchestrator may use up to 16 channels.  So you select all the notes in the newly recorded midi track.

Then you use Split Channel to Tracks.cal to create a track for each channel.

Another approach would be inserting multiple midi tracks and set input of each to Opus Midi Ch 1,2,3.  But that's really more work than use midi omni and Split Ch to Tr.cal and then deleting tracks that are empty.

Early days yet and others may find easier approaches.  But at least capture of midi created by Orchestrator is possible.

I don't have an opinion on the long term usability of Orchestrator but is has some interesting capabilities.  It appears to be a unique take on combining a very capable arpeggiator with management of samples.  

It may be easiest to just treat Orchestrator as a black box instrument that you play simple chords into.  But capturing the midi of interesting results may be worth the effort for educational purposes.

Fwiw

Edited by Steve Harder

• 1 year later...

Steve,

You are a LIFE SAVER. I had to completely re-install my Windows 10 OS system, and therefore all of my programs. UGH!

After I re-installed Cakewalk and the EastWest software, I couldn't figure out how to export MIDI from the OPUS Orchestrator. The newer version that got installed didn't have the little "Rec" hand at the lower right hand side of the screen, as in earlier versions.  

Your explanation is PERFECT. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your suggestion.

MJS