Stems Created from One Midi Track possible?

Sgt G

Hello, 

I create drum tracks from a Roland drumset to a computer into Cakewalk. A single Midi track is created with all the different drum instruments in that one file. Is there a way to pull each instrument from that one Midi file and create stems to be sent to be mixed into a song? 

Thanks

One way:
In the Piano Roll View (PRV), click a piano key or drum name on the left. That will (should) select all those notes in the track.
Click Ctrl C to copy those notes.
Go to another MIDI Track and place the cursor where you want the notes and click Ctrl V to copy the clip into the new track.
Do this for each drum in the kit.
It may sound like a lot of work but it really goes pretty quickly.
As always, there are probably other methods to get the same result.

If you really need to split out the MIDI parts, you can use Process > Run CAL > Split Notes To Tracks.  Just be sure to set the starting track to the next number after the last existing track in the project.

A better option if you just want separate audio tracks, and are using a multi-out drum synth is to create a separate audio track for each output of the drum synth, and freeze/bounce those.

If your drum synth doesn't have separate outputs for each kit piece or doesn't have as many as you need (e.g. to break out percussion pieces), you can apply a drum map to the MIDI track output, and use it to solo kit pieces and bounce them to tracks one at a time.

I do often like to have the MIDI parts separated to facilitate editing, but I usually put them in separate lanes of a single MIDI track. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...