[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.04 Early Access 2

On 4/26/2021 at 6:14 AM, Noel Borthwick said:

According to this shortcut list CTRL-D is a context specific shortcut for delete likely in windows explorer. It has no bearing on what individual applications do with that key. Its certainly not universal in other apps.

Hi Noel, I was too quick upvoting that particular post. However the underlying issue still stands. There are still shortcuts/operations that are not in line with standard Windows  use.  I guess its much easier for the limited group of long term CbB/Sonar users to change to new shortcuts (since they probably already use them for normal Windows operations anyway) than it is for many new users (which I expect CbB will attract especially with the brilliant new Bandlab integration) to have to learn new shortcuts that go against the way they are used to. Once in a while I still find myself also wasting time trying to do something in CbB after which I realise it is done differently (counterintuitively) in CbB. The more logical, the easier new users will feel at home with the DAW (or am I dreaming?🧐).

Its not the first time this discussion comes up. Is it not possible to add an option in Preferences where you can choose for legacy shortcuts/behaviour or new shortcuts that are in line with the operating system?

Btw, very impressive the ongoing list of bug fixes combined with new very useful features. It certainly keeps CbB on par with or even on top of the professional DAWs!

@Lonnie Dawkins, it is the Waves plugin crashing, not CbB. You're not alone, see this topic:

I may have found a new problem with the Track Manager in EA2 (2021.04 Build 125), though the problem could be caused by my inability to deal with the interaction between Screensets, Workspaces and Track Display setting which I have left Custom. In the gif below, I:

1. Start in Track View (Screenset 3) and verify that Workspace is set to None, then de-select some tracks in the Track Manager which removes the tracks from view.
  2. I then switch to Console View (Screenset 2) and then de-select the same tracks in Track Manager which doesn't remove the tracks. Notice that the keep track/console states in sync box is not ticked. However the de-selected tracks are not removed from Console View.
  3. I then open Track Manager again and verify that the de-selected tracks are still de-selected.
  4. I then switch back to Track View (Screenset 3) which shows that the previously de-selected tracks have reappeared.

Given my past screw ups using Screensets, Workspaces and the Track Control button, I suspect I've done something wrong, but I don't know what.

CEGhVK0.gif

59 minutes ago, Teegarden said:

There are still shortcuts/operations that are not in line with standard Windows  use.  I guess its much easier for the limited group of long term CbB/Sonar users to change to new shortcuts (since they probably already use them for normal Windows operations anyway) than it is for many new users (which I expect CbB will attract especially with the brilliant new Bandlab integration) to have to learn new shortcuts that go against the way they are used to. Once in a while I still find myself also wasting time trying to do something in CbB after which I realise it is done differently (counterintuitively) in CbB. The more logical, the easier new users will feel at home with the DAW (or am I dreaming?🧐).

Since we're already off topic I'll just chime in my 50c. The spoken Ctrl+D for duplicate in most other DAWs became such a big part of people's workflow that Cakewalk simply had to adapt to it like there was no option, in trying to catch up with the front line. It was the user demand. :) 

I'm for example (a "limited group" long time Cakewalk/Sonar user) very uncomfortable with lassoing events with the right mouse click especially in the PRV since X1, but I had to accept it, there's the good and the ugly about it. Was there a switch in the preferences for legacy mode, sure I'd use it.

Edited by chris.r

53 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

The arrow isn't there but if you click on Soft Synths it should show the menu as in my screen shot.  

I tried it, Brian, but most of what was there in Insert was whited out.   I may download it all again and see if maybe it didn't install correctly the first time.

Hello there

is there a solution for my problem? (did not open bandlab inside cakewalk)

And...  Do you double-click to open the audio clip in a separate window? very inconvenient to edit in large projects

anysolutionsdoh.thumb.png.ce880d92254b4b7306c5726c534939f6.png

Edited by No Rave

1 hour ago, Bill Phillips said:

I may have found a new problem with the Track Manager in EA2 (2021.04 Build 125), though the problem could be caused by my inability to deal with the interaction between Screensets, Workspaces and Track Display setting which I have left Custom. In the gif below, I:

1. Start in Track View (Screenset 3) and verify that Workspace is set to None, then de-select some tracks in the Track Manager which removes the tracks from view.
  2. I then switch to Console View (Screenset 2) and then de-select the same tracks in Track Manager which doesn't remove the tracks. Notice that the keep track/console states in sync box is not ticked. However the de-selected tracks are not removed from Console View.
  3. I then open Track Manager again and verify that the de-selected tracks are still de-selected.
  4. I then switch back to Track View (Screenset 3) which shows that the previously de-selected tracks have reappeared.

Given my past screw ups using Screensets, Workspaces and the Track Control button, I suspect I've done something wrong, but I don't know what.

Ok, I've worked out what's going on, and it's behaving as expected.

Firstly, as you've pointed out, the track/console states in sync box is not ticked.  When you use a keyboard shortcut to bring up the Track Manager, it brings up the Track View's version of that dialog.  This is why it makes no difference to your console strips. If the sync box is not ticked, you need to select Track Manager from the Strips menu on the console to affect the console tracks.

Secondly, the visible tracks are stored per screenset.  So hiding tracks in screenset 1 will not hide them from screenset 2.

48 minutes ago, greg54 said:

I tried it, Brian, but most of what was there in Insert was whited out.   I may download it all again and see if maybe it didn't install correctly the first time.

I'll admit it is a little odd with the inconsistancy in the menu - synth doesnt' have the arrow but rewire does.  Certainly try a re-install or wait for the final release for .04.

But I'm personally thrilled with the new menu look.  A vast improvement.  

• Like 2

PLEASE update the auto-save of this program. Instead of auto-saving into a series of auto-save files like Premier, Cakewalk Auto-saves OVER the previous auto-save file, and just rewrites and rewrites it over and over. What happens is if Cakewalk crashes WHILE the auto-save is re-writing, it can truncate the auto-save file, rendering it useless, and only giving you access to the last manually saved version of the file, not the last auto-save version, which is potentially devastating if its been a while since you last manually saved.  ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS ISSUE??? 

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 3

18 hours ago, Mauricio Ramirez said:

@Noel Borthwick Sorry, here I see a video in GIF: https://imgur.com/a/kG1c96E

I am attaching the GIF with the bug:

1941128662_ErrorArranger.gif.5a69e97dabe5f99a308d4fe8b40c9bc2.gif

@Mauricio Ramirez - Thanks for sending the cwp file. We've found the cause of the issue a fix will be in the next update.  

For the meantime, either use Cut instead of Delete, or set the "Arranger Section Event Overlap Threshold" to off.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Sim, isso é o que acontece. A estratégia de sempre economizar para apenas um arquivo de salvamento é muito ruim quando daw trava e trunca o arquivo de salvamento. Acredito que o melhor seria criar uma pasta Autosave em cada projeto e, nele, haveria tantos arquivos de salvamento, tanto quanto os intervalos configurados em Preferências, onde também poderia haver um contador para quantos arquivos de salvamento automático o usuário gostaria de ter. Exemplo: Configure em preferências que eu sempre quero ter os últimos 5 arquivos de salvamento. Se eu definir a economia automática para 1 minuto, terei os arquivos pelos últimos 5 minutos e assim por diante. Infelizmente, o Version Control não faz isso na operação de salvamento automático, mas apenas se dermos um comando Save. Por isso, seria importante que a operação de versionamento obedecesse ao Automatic Save. image.png.518a3c80c75bf10ba05b1417faa66eee.png image.png.9c25bb39f9c6e41d7b9492a07d0c7ab0.png

De fato, toda vez que você fecha ou abre o projeto, um novo arquivo de recuperação é criado, tudo bem que você pode estar substituindo o arquivo salvo pelo arquivo do projeto padrão, mas acaba sendo exaustivo.

Esses dias um senhor que começou a utilizar o Cakewalk me perguntou como que fazia para configurar o salvamento automático, gravei um vídeo explicando, mas depois o coitado ficou ainda mais confuso pela quantidade de arquivos de recuperação que foram criados.

2 hours ago, chris.r said:

Since we're already off topic I'll just chime in my 50c. The spoken Ctrl+D for duplicate in most other DAWs became such a big part of people's workflow that Cakewalk simply had to adapt to it like there was no option, in trying to catch up with the front line. It was the user demand. :) 

I'm for example (a "limited group" long time Cakewalk/Sonar user) very uncomfortable with lassoing events with the right mouse click especially in the PRV since X1, but I had to accept it, there's the good and the ugly about it. Was there a switch in the preferences for legacy mode, sure I'd use it.

"Limited group" compared to the millions of new users CbB hopefully is going to attract 😬
I don't use Ctrl+D in Windows myself, the response was actually meant to an earlier post which related to other topics discussing better Windows workflow compatibility. I think the legacy on/off option might be able to satisfy most if not everyone. Sorry for going off topic...🥴

Edited by Teegarden

24 minutes ago, Teegarden said:

"Limited group" compared to the millions of new users CbB hopefully is going to attract 😬
I don't use Ctrl+D in Windows myself, the response was actually meant to an earlier post which related to other topics discussing better Windows workflow compatibility. I think the legacy on/off option might be able to satisfy most if not everyone. Sorry for going off topic...🥴

I consider myself a total keyboard shortcut nerd, but I have actually never used or known about CTRL + D in Windows... great to learn! I've always deleted using the Delete button. 🤓 (Very anecdotal, I know.)

But I do agree with the person who wrote that CTRL+D has become more or less DAW standard for Duplicate. One can always change it.

I would love some more focus on keyboard shortcuts in Cakewalk: improving loading speed of the Options dialog, adding more mouseover popups with currently assigned shortcuts and adding several non-bindable functions (UnSolo All & Archive Track).

I'm loving the commitment and engagement for Cakewalk these days! It's been an enormous increase in a couple years, incredible! ❤️😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

When you use a keyboard shortcut to bring up the Track Manager, it brings up the Track View's version of that dialOk, I've worked out what's going on, and it's behaving as expected.

You need to select Track Manager from the Strips menu on the console to affect the console tracks.

Secondly, the visible tracks are stored per screenset.  So hiding tracks in screenset 1 will not hide them from screenset 2.

Thanks. Very helpful. That was all news to me. I thought the H key opened the Track Manager for the current view (Console or Track).  Wrong! I also didn't realize that screensets stored track visibility. Wrong again!

Screensets are very handy to me because they appear to store all options in all the dropdown menus across the top of each view  which I tweak on every project. Being able to load them in a screenset will be a big help. Is their scope that broad?

I'm hoping I soon feel like I've got a handle on screenset and can move on Workspaces.