Clip Waveform Scaling Questions [Solved]

Bill Phillips

Question

I'm visually editing clip gain for a vocal clip and I've come across a section where the waveform appears to not be scaling as the clip gain is adjusted and I'm wondering why that is. The attached gif seems to show when clip gain is adjusted for a narrow waveform selection that the waveform is not scaled as the clip gain is changed. For a broader selection portions of the waveform are scaled but the core area that was included in the smaller selection does not appear to be scaled.

I've also attached a second example where the left side of the waveform is not responding to the clip gain adjustment and the right (lower gain) side is.

I'm using Version 2021.04 (Build 111, 64 bit).

fMTnLaB.gif

rOUpeB5.gif

Edited by Bill Phillips

4 answers to this question

It looks like you might have several un-muted lanes with clips in them.

The clip gain envelope is being applied to the top most clip only, but the waveform display is showing you the mix of all the clips together.

You've two choices:
- Do the clip gain on each individual lane.
- Flatten the comp, and do it on the flattened lane only.

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It looks like you might have several un-muted lanes with clips in them.

The clip gain envelope is being applied to the top most clip only, but the waveform display is showing you the mix of all the clips together.

You've two choices:
- Do the clip gain on each individual lane.
- Flatten the comp, and do it on the flattened lane only.

Yeah, it sure looks that way but there's only one clip. See attached screen shot.

2021-04-22 (1).png