How to easily select the first and the last automation nodes

Rogério

It's being hard (at least with the current Cakewalk 2021.04 Early Access), to select an EXACT range of automation nodes.

Using the Smart Tool is almost impossible.

Using the Selection Tool, it selects the manual range and not the first and the last nodes inside the selection:

OP5yPac.gif

You can see above that I want to copy the range starting with the first node (127) and the penultimate node (100), and paste them to bar 54:01, the first node (127) must be exactly in bar 54:01.

However, when a paste this selection, Cakewalk is creating intermediate nodes.

How to ONLY select the first and the last automation nodes range, despite the manual selection?

Edited by Rogério

Hm, did I understand correctly: you only want to copy the 127 and 100 nodes, but nothing in between? If the answer is yes: how should Cakewalk know what to put in between, what kind of transition should be placed between them?

Edit: By the way, how did you get the red "Automation" label on this topic? :)

Edited by GreenLight
Question added :)

14 minutes ago, Rogério said:

It's being hard (at least with the current Cakewalk 2021.04 Early Access), to select an EXACT range of automation nodes.

Using the Smart Tool is almost impossible.

Using the Selection Tool, it selects the manual range and not the first and the last nodes inside the selection:

OP5yPac.gif

You can see above that I want to copy the range starting with the first node (127) and the penultimate node (100), and paste them to bar 54:01, the first node (127) must be exactly in bar 54:01.

However, when a paste this selection, Cakewalk is creating intermediate nodes.

How to ONLY select the first and the last automation nodes range, despite the manual selection?

Don't use the select tool.

Use CTRL + Left Click to individually select the nodes, or use right click to lasso the nodes.

2 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Hm, did I understand correctly: you only want to copy the 127 and 100 nodes, but nothing in between?

No, I want the exact RANGE between the first and the last nodes, (127, 18, 127, 100). Only the nodes, not the manual selection range. 

Exactly like MIDI selection in the PRV.

4 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

By the way, how did you get the red "Automation" label on this topic?

You chose "Tags" when creating the topic and then it will open a "Item prefix" for you. 😉

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Don't use the select tool.

Use CTRL + Left Click to individually select the nodes, or use right click to lasso the nodes.

That's what I already did every time, using Smart Tool, like I said. 

However it's being almost impossible to select the upper node values (127) since the mouse easily invades the MIDI track above and ends up selecting this track along with the automations ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rogério said:

That's what I already did every time, using Smart Tool, like I said. 

However it's being almost impossible to select the upper node values (127) since the mouse easily invades the MIDI track above and ends up selecting this track along with the automations ...

You could manually enter the selection start time in the selection module?

Note: The next EA drop will have some improvements for node selection cut/copy, so this will actually be a lot easier:

EnvelopeCopyPaste.gif

3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The next EA drop will have some improvements for node selection cut/copy, so this will actually be a lot easier

I'm using the EA, as mentioned. 

May be that's the problem.

See my last GIF above.

2 hours ago, Rogério said:

Check out what happens using Smart tool/right click:

qIiyLCB.gif

This is similar to the problem I have in PRV in controller lanes when I want to select all events that range from 0 to max over long period of time, except it doesn't extend over to the notes pane, but the task is really difficult in a similar fashion and not user friendly.

I've given up with lasso select copy/paste envelope nodes for now, can't wait for the new updated EA to see what the changes will be like :) 

Edited by chris.r

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

No, I beg you 😭

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Note: The next EA drop will have some improvements for node selection cut/copy, so this will actually be a lot easier:

EnvelopeCopyPaste.gif

Yes! I thank you 🤗

😀

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

EnvelopeCopyPaste.gif

@msmcleod, as you can see on my last GIF, I can't get the same result as your sample. When you select the nodes, after Ctrl+C it makes the time selection. But here it's not making it. No time selection after Ctrl+C. I'm using the current EA.

What's wrong?

21 minutes ago, Rogério said:

@msmcleod, as you can see on my last GIF, I can't get the same result as your sample. When you select the nodes, after Ctrl+C it makes the time selection. But here it's not making it. No time selection after Ctrl+C. I'm using the current EA.

What's wrong?

As I said before, this functionality will be in the next EA drop.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

As I said before, this functionality will be in the next EA drop.

Hm, I agree with @Rogério, right click lassoing IS tricky when nodes are close to a track's top or bottom. 🤔

So how about this suggestion:💡

When one is right click-lassoing and the mouse pointer reaches the top or bottom of the track, the pointer would be stopped from moving to adjacent tracks (= confined to stay within the track where you started dragging)? Maybe this behavior could be enabled with a keyboard modifier and/or a specific tool?

One could easily start from the bottom and also easily catch all nodes at maximum height, without worrying about including stuff in the track above. It would be a lot faster than CTRL adding nodes separately... 🙂

• Great Idea 1