Sticky request for Cakewalk forum

Starship Krupa

At least once a week, maybe more often, I notice someone asking for help in the main forum, and mentioning that they are using Sonar Xwhatever, and I will butt in with my CWAF! routine and grill them about why they are running an old version of Sonar when Cakewalk, a big leap forward, is available to them for free. And they will reply that they're confused and unsure about the ramifications of installing CbB, sometimes of the belief that they will lose plug-ins that they are now using, need to pay licensing fees, be obligated to use BandLab's social media site, etc. (fortunately, the tinfoil hat crowd and the "I'll never forgive them for allowing people to use it for free" manger dogs seem to have found a rock to crawl under).

Or someone will outright post a topic with the above concerns. The first topic in the forum right now is just such a topic.

And every time, we explain the same thing to them: no, it's perfectly fine, it's free, it installs right alongside Sonar, any premium content that came with your Sonar suite will work with it, and performance, stability, and feature-wise, it blows the doors off of any version of Sonar.

There are currently no sticky topics in the main Cakewalk by BandLab forum, but I think it would serve the user base well to have this one up there.

"Currently running Sonar. What happens when I install Cakewalk by BandLab?" or similar.

• Like 5
  • Great Idea 2

Are you suggesting an FAQ or FAQs to be added to the FAQ threads section?  I could see FAQs added to the main forum would clutter it up pretty quickly.

Kind regards,

tecknot

P.S.  Maybe we should have a venting section in the forums too.

Not FAQ's plural, just this FAQ. And added to the top of the main Cakewalk section. We already have one about the fab new PDF Reference Guide.

This matter appears to still be a point of confusion for legacy Sonar users, and stragglers still wander in here all confused. Some of them don't even know that there is no longer a Cakewalk Inc., that there is no more Sonar, that they don't have to pay for upgrades....how they make it as far as creating a BandLab account and posting on this forum without learning that must require real determination.

Having a big sign in the main parlor telling them what they need to know about upgrading to Cakewalk by BandLab would be a nice courtesy to them and  to those of us who like to answer questions and would rather not answer these same ones over and over again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Starship Krupa said:

Having a big sign in the main parlor telling them what they need to know about upgrading to Cakewalk by BandLab would be a nice courtesy to them and  to those of us who like to answer questions and would rather not answer these same ones over and over again.

I agree - a big banner/link at the top, with something like "Stiil using SONAR? Here's why you should get Cakewalk by BandLab" - which would obviously go to some page on the CbB site listing all the reasons you should upgrade, why you should not uninstall SONAR etc.

Also a big banner/link would be far nicer than the popup windows that come up elsewhere (e.g. on the old forum site).

• Like 2