Helicopters! Such nonsensical recollections.

Doc H

I’ve apparently have lived in the “country” for so long that I’ve forgotten the sound of helicopters flying over my home. Having moved to the 4th largest metro area in the States has brought back so much, nostalgia?  No, remembrance. Or should I venture to say recollection? The once to thrice weekly flyovers are not the police helicopters I recall from living in the Golden State or the Sunshine State. Nay, these are life flight flyovers. We have a hospital nearby. 

Though it keeps reminding me of “Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2.”

Heh, I used to live in So. Cal. right near El Toro air base!  Yeah, we've got your helicopters!

*WHOP!!!*  *WHOP!!!*  *WHOP!!!*

Back in the 1970s I took a day job as a field engineer (glorified technician with a fancy title) for a Cable TV manufacturer. 3-days a week work and 2 travel days - so I could take the red-eye out Thursday night and be back for gigging on Friday.

I was working at the Patuxent River Naval Air Station advising  and assisting the people building a computer network that would withstand a nuclear attack. Arpanet - or the infant Internet itself.

While I was there they were testing F18 fighters, and I almost saw one crash in the Chesapeake Bay. I heard the explosion, and turned around to see the pilot ejecting with his 'chute opening. The sound of the plane hitting the water quickly followed.

The day-gig didn't last all that long. I found normal to be sooooo overrated, and I found the caliber and dedication of weekend warrior musicians to be less than what I was used to.

We have a police 'copter here, and since I live just east of a protected wetlands and west of a 2-mile wide lagoon, it flies here occasionally to either look for fugitives hiding in the wetlands, or to rescue people in the lagoon.

Notes