Feature Request: New Assignable Key Functions

User 905133

It would greatly facilitate the resaving of changed file structures (such as *.lns files) if users had the ability to assign shortcut keys to save those file types.

image.png.1620d43ab936ecfb39beb8a1616a8cff.png

UPDATE: Feature request withdrawn because re-saving custom Workspaces doesn't help resolved inconsistencies, since " . . . . workspaces have no information saved as to how the tempo track should be displayed (i.e. its size & visibility)."

Edited by User 905133
(2) to withdraw my request; (1) to swap in an image with boxes, arrows, wording, and an oval and to add a link to a relevant 2021.04 EA thread

I don't understand what you mean. "Changed file structures?" Did file structures change recently?

From your picture, it looks like you'd like to be able to assign keystrokes to save the current workspace and to save the current project as a template.

Do you mean that you'd like mappable commands for the various things we can save in CbB like arranger templates and workspaces, and then also for the project save types Normal, Template, and Bundle?

(I still don't understand the difference between File/Save As and selecting MIDI and File/Export Standard MIDI File so I'll leave those out)

10 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

I don't understand what you mean. "Changed file structures?" Did file structures change recently?

From your picture, it looks like you'd like to be able to assign keystrokes to save the current workspace and to save the current project as a template.

Do you mean that you'd like mappable commands for the various things we can save in CbB like arranger templates and workspaces, and then also for the project save types Normal, Template, and Bundle?

(I still don't understand the difference between File/Save As and selecting MIDI and File/Export Standard MIDI File so I'll leave those out)

Evidently, the structure of *.lns files [that's lower-case LNS for Lenses now known as Workspaces, not INS] has changed with the 2021.04 EA Release.  Based on what I read as discussed in the EA thread, previously developed user Workspaces evidently did not save and/or restore information related to the new Tempo Track. 

So far the solution that seems to work is for users to load each pre-2021.04 EA Workspace [*.lns file], scroll  to the bottom of the Workspaces list, and choose "Save Workspace."  This can be quite time consuming because it requires excessive mouse movements for each Workspace.

To me it seems like it would be quicker and easier on the hand to have a shortcut key assigned to something like a Workspace | Save function.  The flow would be: ||: select Workspace to be updated, press shortcut key :||

In my mock up, I had searched for "save" and found the first functions existed and tried to show where I'd like to see some additional functions if at all possible. Like all other shortcut keys, they would save time.  Sorry that is not clear; I will re-do the image with a box around the functions I am suggesting and some wording (like "please add these functions").

Also, apologies for my use of "File structures." I did not mean specifically *.cwp files.  The idea started from the issue I had with having to update *.lns files.  Since the 2021.04 EA thread also mentioned that template files, I tried to make my request general to all instances where Cakewalk file structures might be changed in such a way as to need fixing by simply loading and resaving them.

I will try to figure out a way to make my request more specific and yet open ended.

Related to this request, I really like the new compatibility check for user themes (another type of file) and have been thinking of requesting that the same thing be done with Workspaces (and other changed file structures) if possible.

Just like when you select a theme that uses a file structure that has changed, Cakewalk detects an incompatibility and others some choices.

So, it might be handy to have something similar for cases where a user selects an Workspace with an older format.  It would be nice if there were an option to immediately re-save the Workspace (*.lns file) thereby updating it to the new format. 

The use of a shortcut key occurred to me before I thought of a compatibility check solution.  I would much prefer the latter.

As for expanding the list of assignable functions, I have seen other posts where people wished for functions that were not available.  Personally, I think that having more shortcut functions available adds to Cakewalk's flexibility and customizability, but generally I don't use more than a few.

It was really that my hand was hurting from having to do repetitive motions to click/load/scroll/click/save over and over. 

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to clarify my original request and to add the comments about the compatibility check.

CORRECTION: I was previously under the impression from several posts in the 2021.04 EA thread that previously developed user Workspaces did not save and/or restore information related to the new Tempo Track and the solution was to update them by loading them and resaving them one at a time so they would save and/or restore Tempo Track information.

However, " . . . workspaces have no information saved as to how the tempo track should be displayed (i.e. its size & visibility)."

Edited by User 905133
to make a correction