Plugin Alliance: Dirk's 50th Birthday! ⚡Any 2 Plugins just $49.99

pseudopop

Punted the UA FX Bundle (Byome and Triad) as one and UA Lion synth as the other one for the birthday boy coupon, then used the $25 coupon I got from MustacheVerra and ... badaboom: three wonderful pluggies for $8.33 each. Not bad, not bad at all.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craig Fowler said:

Be interested in your verdict on Train II - it's one of my favourites.

It's a masterpiece! One of the best amp-sim plugins ever built.

It was rather difficult to pick the second plugin to go with Train II. I tried  Rockergain100 and Overdrive Supreme but wasn't impressed. Also Matcha, although decent, has a very limited functionality, i.e., no portamento, impossible to change pickups, etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tomgu said:

Haven't seen this before: The coupon works also for Byome&Triad bundle.

Picked up that bundle and Lindell Audio 80 series. Yes at the time I had no idea I was going to get those, but apparently didn't want to miss out. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Soundwise said:

It was rather difficult to pick the second plugin to go with Train II. I tried  Rockergain100 and Overdrive Supreme but wasn't impressed. Also Matcha, although decent, has a very limited functionality, i.e., no portamento, impossible to change pickups, etc.

I feel validated! I *like* the ODS, but the Train II is one of the few sims where the sounds I can get from it actually resemble those in the demos.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Train II has way too much gain on tap.  

It would be a better plugin/simulation if they had a broader range in the lower gain territory, but otherwise it really is one of the best I've used.  For perspective, I've played each actual Trainwreck model...though I havne't used a Fuchs Train, my experience is only with the real thing that inspired what Fuchs made.

ODS I think is great for clean sounds (though on some settings some artifical fizz can get really annoying).  I've never been a big fan of ODS "gain" including real Dumbles I've played (not just Fuchs knock offs).  That said, I think the ODS pluign is actually surprisingly close to that tone and eq controls.   I just don't love that part of the sound, but as emulations go...well I think it stacks up quite well as long as you can tame the fizz depending on the settings you use.  Overall tone and response of them were "next level" from what I'd experienced in the plugin realm.  

Edited by Brian Walton

15 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Train II has way too much gain on tap.  

It depends on the signal level you feed it with. I keep my input level below -12dB. If that still is too hot, by all means bring it down.

ODS I think is great for clean sounds (though on some settings some artifical fizz can get really annoying).  I've never been a big fan of ODS "gain" including real Dumbles I've played (not just Fuchs knock offs).  That said, I think the ODS pluign is actually surprisingly close to that tone and eq controls.   I just don't love that part of the sound, but as emulations go...well I think it stacks up quite well as long as you can tame the fizz depending on the settings you use.

I find that plugin version of the Fuchs version of Dumble is closer to Vox than Dumble. TH-U has a decent ODS module and some nice Rig profiles as well, which I like a little more, than PA's ODS.

Overall tone and response of them were "next level" from what I'd experienced in the plugin realm.  

Agreed!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Soundwise said:

It depends on the signal level you feed it with. I keep my input level below -12dB. If that still is too hot, by all means bring it down.

I find that plugin version of the Fuchs version of Dumble is closer to Vox than Dumble. TH-U has a decent ODS module and some nice Rig profiles as well, which I like a little more, than PA's ODS.

Agreed!

Vey good point about gain staging this one on input (as well as output).  I can run the input gain at -20 and that can broaden the lower gain range for sure.  If the plugin will maintain the output you need is a bit of a different question and one might have to run another plugin as a clean output boost (depending on various factors).  But that is an excellent point.