I got angry! And I paid for it in spades!

Doc H

It befuddles me how many companies think their plug-in soft synths are worth $$$ in subscription costs annually. Reason Studio’s move to Reason+ just really made me angry. Especially with the part about “you can buy a perpetual license but you aren’t getting upgrades or additional instruments without a subscription bit.” 

So in a fit of anger I went and invested in NI Komplete 13.

Then I find my Line 6 KB37 that has served me well since 2007 is not supported on the latest Mac OS. Got angry again! Bought a new keyboard controller. 

I’m starting to think that music hardware & software companies are the root of my anger management issue. Thank goodness that guitar don’t really go obsolete (Kramer guitars as the exception - their demise was sudden and the resurrection is more like the Frankenstein monster).

You have entered the dismal world of planned obsolescence. This turns the old engineering adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" on its head in favor of the marketing maxim "newer is always better . " Basically the whole computer hardware/software ecosystem is participating in a more or less coordinated effort to make your old stuff useless so that you will have to get newer more expensive stuff to do basically the same stuff. It begins with the operating systems and propagates through the applications to the hardware like a disease. In this environment, the software hackers play an important symbiotic role by threatening to steal your bank account if you fail to upgrade everything even more often. The rented not owned and its variation the annual payment for access to upgrades is the latest wrinkle on the protection racket under the guise of obsolescence insurance. You have to love capitalism. Really...you have no choice.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

You have entered the dismal world of planned obsolescence. This turns the old engineering adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" on its head in favor of the marketing maxim "newer is always better . " Basically the whole computer hardware/software ecosystem is participating in a more or less coordinated effort to make your old stuff useless so that you will have to get newer more expensive stuff to do basically the same stuff. It begins with the operating systems and propagates through the applications to the hardware like a disease. In this environment, the software hackers play an important symbiotic role by threatening to steal your bank account if you fail to upgrade everything even more often. The rented not owned and its variation the annual payment for access to upgrades is the latest wrinkle on the protection racket under the guise of obsolescence insurance. You have to love capitalism. Really...you have no choice.

So I should hold them for ransom and have them pay me in bit coin?

13 hours ago, slartabartfast said:

I agree to that!

But I would add that there are a lot of areas outside of computer hardware/software that go the same way! Even politics, media and education!

And there is some software, like Reaper (they support back to Windows XP with a small team!), that is not so intrusive in this way!