Trying to Come Up with an Idea for a New Track

razor7music

Hey Group--

I've been doing back to back track production for years, and I feel like this time, I don't want to jump right in with the next track. I want to produce something different than what I've been producing. Not necessarily a different genre, because I like the genre I write in. What I mean is, I want to do a different kind of song. My bottom line is I have to like to song, because if nothing ever turns out from it, at least I'll have something to listen to later.

I'm thinking that if I start composing with different instruments, or different settings on those instruments, then that will start me off "differently" than usual. So far, I just grabbed my six string electric and started going through the Guitar Rig 5 presets one by one to see if anything inspires me. I think I'll pull out Massive, or some other soft synth and see if any patches or grooves start me going.

What do you do?

Or, combine the last two suggestions!  Doom-metal covers of Beach Boys songs off the Pet Sounds album using a baritone sax, an according and a bass harmonica with beats on 1 and 3!!!  👍🤩

(Not sure if adding a vuvuzela will help though...😆)

• Like 1

I open my orchestral template, which is pretty comprehensive, and just start playing something on whichever track/instrument I happen to click on first, and see where it goes. The key thing for me, I find, is working fast. I've lately been setting a time limit, and then trying to create at a blistering pace without redos, overthinking and/or adjustments, and see what I come up with. And when I say time limit, I mean hardcore -- 20 minutes or less for a full orchestral mock-up that runs for a minute, and I stick to that limit like glue. I find that it turns off my self-critical faculties, and lets my creative side just kind of do its thing without worrying.

The end product  usually sounds like complete crap, but there are always (and I mean always) interesting ideas buried in there that I can build off of, including unexpected cord changes or melodic shifts that I never would have thought of had I been approaching this more deliberately. It's fun, and works pretty well, so far.  And its great for breaking out of creative ruts.

Edited by Amicus717
  • Great Idea 1

16 minutes ago, Amicus717 said:

I open my orchestral template, which is pretty comprehensive, and just start playing something on whichever track/instrument I happen to click on first, and see where it goes. The key thing for me, I find, is working fast. I've lately been setting a time limit, and then trying to create at a blistering pace without redos, overthinking and/or adjustments, and see what I come up with. And when I say time limit, I mean hardcore -- 20 minutes or less for a full orchestral mock-up that runs for a minute, and I stick to that limit like glue. I find that it turns off my self-critical faculties, and lets my creative side just kind of do its thing without worrying.

The end product  usually sounds like complete crap, but there are always (and I mean always) interesting ideas buried in there that I can build off of, including unexpected cord changes or melodic shifts that I never would have thought of had I been approaching this more deliberately. It's fun, and works pretty well, so far.  And its great for breaking out of creative ruts.

Kind of like free-form writing or drawing. I like it. Just jam on something and then comp those parts that sound good. I think I'll try that. Thanks Amiscus!

I like to sit down with a fully-mapped orchestra that brings in different instruments based on velocity and MIDI values. One of my favorites is Solid State Symphony from Indiginus, but there are plenty of others such as the Symphony instrument in Amadeus Symphonic Orchestra from Sonic Scores (based on Tracy Collins' SSS but with real instruments). In the review I wrote recently for ASO, I included a couple of improvised real-time, made up on the spot jams to demonstrate the instrument.  You can also create your own multi-instrument jam platform using Kontakt multis, such as the ones in SampleLogic's Cinematic Guitars series. 

Granted, an orchestral example probably doesn't fit your genre, but the principle applies to any genre.  It's simply the time-honored process called "jamming". I promise that you will eventually come up with something interesting in less than an hour. And that's when you start up the DAW and make a recording. Not necessarily a full song; it can be just a fragment for future reference. I have a project set aside just for remembering unrelated chord progressions, licks and melodies. When I'm stuck for an idea I'll often go back to those for inspiration.

• Like 1

Try some pads and with instruments you haven't used.  Think in compound time. Try varying rhythms. Try to hear sounds melodies in your mind then playing and recording them. Write and rewrite what you come up with. Listen to bands you've never heard of. Check out songs on the Song Forum

• Like 1

2 hours ago, razor7music said:

Off the rails after only three posters...this has got to be a record.

Did I mention the genre I like to write in is not comedy? 😛

Sorry, thought you were trying to make a record.  My bad. 😀

It looks like you're getting some really good advice now though. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be serious for a moment, if you can, get to the music first thing after you wake up in the morning. I believe the music is in there but a lot of things can cover it up during the day. And don't turn the computer on right away, just your instrument. I know not everyone can do that but find your best, least distracted time. I always come away feeling positive and that is important.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BassDaddy said:

To be serious for a moment, if you can, get to the music first thing after you wake up in the morning. I believe the music is in there but a lot of things can cover it up during the day. And don't turn the computer on right away, just your instrument. I know not everyone can do that but find your best, least distracted time. I always come away feeling positive and that is important.

My landlord/roommate gets up at 3:30am.  I'm sure I'm in agreement with the neighborhood that we all he doesn't adopt this approach!  LOL!  😆