Jump to content
abacab

Arturia releasing Pigments 3 Today! Free upgrade!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, craigr68 said:

I'm a newbie to Pigments and Arturia.  I'm running the Pigments3 demo for now.  I wanted to audition the Spectrum Sound Pack.  I downloaded one of the five of them - Amethyst.  I double clicked the .exe file and it installed.  It shows installed in Win10 Programs and Features.  When I go into Pigments, the regular patches are there but I can't seem to locate the extra Amethyst patches.  I don't see it under My Banks.   Can someone please tell me how the whole sound pack thing works?   Maybe it doesn't work with demo?

Also, I was surprised it didn't get installed thru the Arturia Software Center App.  

Use the Arturia Software Center to install instruments you own, or any that you would like to demo. Assuming you have probably already done that, go to the next step...

Use the 'Store' section from within the instrument to browse available sound banks. You can download any bank by clicking on it, and it will automatically install. Don't click on 'add to cart'.

The Bank and presets will then be shown in the store view, where you can audition some, or add to cart, etc. Or return to the main store page.

If it's just a demo version, only certain presets will be unlocked and available for you to try. The rest remain locked until you buy the bank, so there is no way to fully audition any add-on bank. But Spectrum is FREE if you buy Pigments, so I wouldn't waste any more time trying to figure that out if it's not working in the demo.

If you own a bank, then in the Presets browser you can filter by bank, and select the bank that you want displayed in the browser.

There should never a need to run an install.exe for an Arturia product, unless ASC is busted, and that's the only plan B. If you wish, you can log into your account on the website to see what products you have registered, contact support, etc.

Good luck, and have fun!

Edited by abacab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems to be what I'm experiencing.  I went to the store from within Pigments demo and it shows nothing, as you indicated.  One thing that threw me was what this webpage is for.  It allows you to download the Spectrum Sound Pack as 5 subpacks(?) as exe files.  They seem to install but not do anything.  So I uninstalled Amethyst.  Anyway, thanks abacab for the info.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/spectrum-sound-pack/resources

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, craigr68 said:

That seems to be what I'm experiencing.  I went to the store from within Pigments demo and it shows nothing, as you indicated.  One thing that threw me was what this webpage is for.  It allows you to download the Spectrum Sound Pack as 5 subpacks(?) as exe files.  They seem to install but not do anything.  So I uninstalled Amethyst.  Anyway, thanks abacab for the info.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/spectrum-sound-pack/resources

I see. Those downloads probably only apply to license owners. The ASC handles product activation, and knows if you have a license for a product.

Just buy the synth before the promo cutoff in May, and get the Spectrum banks for FREE!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abacab said:

I see. Those downloads probably only apply to license owners. The ASC handles product activation, and knows if you have a license for a product.

Just buy the synth before the promo cutoff in May, and get the Spectrum banks for FREE!

yup. you need to but the spectrum pack. those are just updates to it i think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, craigr68 said:

That seems to be what I'm experiencing.  I went to the store from within Pigments demo and it shows nothing, as you indicated.  One thing that threw me was what this webpage is for.  It allows you to download the Spectrum Sound Pack as 5 subpacks(?) as exe files.  They seem to install but not do anything.  So I uninstalled Amethyst.  Anyway, thanks abacab for the info.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/spectrum-sound-pack/resources

I did the same thing. Those installs do actually install the sound packs (they're in their own folders, next to the Factory presets), but unless they are activated in Arturia's Software Center, they're not available, and you can't load them individually, either. When I saw the post you replied too I also thought that maybe they became free. On the flip side, I listened to the demos and they don't sound all that interesting to my ears, so not sure I'll get them, even for 19,99. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, craigr68 said:

That seems to be what I'm experiencing.  I went to the store from within Pigments demo and it shows nothing, as you indicated.  One thing that threw me was what this webpage is for.  It allows you to download the Spectrum Sound Pack as 5 subpacks(?) as exe files.  They seem to install but not do anything.  So I uninstalled Amethyst.  Anyway, thanks abacab for the info.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog-classics/spectrum-sound-pack/resources

 

6 hours ago, fitzroy said:

I did the same thing. Those installs do actually install the sound packs (they're in their own folders, next to the Factory presets), but unless they are activated in Arturia's Software Center, they're not available, and you can't load them individually, either. When I saw the post you replied too I also thought that maybe they became free. On the flip side, I listened to the demos and they don't sound all that interesting to my ears, so not sure I'll get them, even for 19,99. 

+1. did same thing as well.


I don't care for Arturia's bait & switch marketing. 
I would have jumped on the $19 deal if they had been straight up about it (if for no other reason than to thank them for the free synth update), but now I'll end up passing. 

Don't waste my time forcing me to hunt for information so that I can understand what your giving vs what you're selling.. 
If it's a charged item tell me upfront  & link your audio demos to same information page.
If you enable me to make a quick informed decision - I might reward you with an impulse buy even if I'm not that impressed by what you're offering.
As it is your patch demos would have had to impress the hell out of me to overcome my frustration and on that count they miserably failed.

 

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, fitzroy said:

I listened to the demos and they don't sound all that interesting to my ears, so not sure I'll get them, even for 19,99. 

Hmmm, second time I heard that.  I'll have to check that out.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheSteven said:

 

+1. did same thing as well.


I don't care for Arturia's bait & switch marketing. 
I would have jumped on the $19 deal if they had been straight up about it (if for no other reason than to thank them for the free synth update), but now I'll end up passing. 

Don't waste my time forcing me to hunt for information so that I can understand what your giving vs what you're selling.. 
If it's a charged item tell me upfront  & link your audio demos to same information page.
If you enable me to make a quick informed decision - I might reward you with an impulse buy even if I'm not that impressed by what you're offering.
As it is your patch demos would have had to impress the hell out of me to overcome my frustration and on that count they miserably failed.

 

I am not sure if I see it as a bait and switch. I originally thought it was $19 to upgrade to Pigments 3. Then later found it its just if you want to get the preset combo deal. Seems like a  fair deal to me. I think I might pick it up. Though I have > 1700 presets in Analog Lab.. do I really need 500 more.. 🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

I am not sure if I see it as a bait and switch. I originally thought it was $19 to upgrade to Pigments 3. Then later found it its just if you want to get the preset combo deal. Seems like a  fair deal to me. I think I might pick it up. Though I have > 1700 presets in Analog Lab.. do I really need 500 more.. 🙂

It's not that it's a bad deal, it's a good deal. I agree with the TheSteven though, the fact that you can download the presets yet you can't activate them or use them is a bit misleading. But I'll give you that it might not be intentional - and maybe I'm just not familiar enough with Arturia's business model. Most people would probably assume, intuitively, that if you can download and install presets, they're free and yours to use. In this particular case that assumption proved wrong and it cost us some time, that's all :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fitzroy said:

In this particular case that assumption proved wrong and it cost us some time, that's all :) 

Time is a precious commodity and once wasted cannot be reclaimed.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheSteven said:

 

+1. did same thing as well.


I don't care for Arturia's bait & switch marketing. 
I would have jumped on the $19 deal if they had been straight up about it (if for no other reason than to thank them for the free synth update), but now I'll end up passing. 

Don't waste my time forcing me to hunt for information so that I can understand what your giving vs what you're selling.. 
If it's a charged item tell me upfront  & link your audio demos to same information page.
If you enable me to make a quick informed decision - I might reward you with an impulse buy even if I'm not that impressed by what you're offering.
As it is your patch demos would have had to impress the hell out of me to overcome my frustration and on that count they miserably failed.

 

Not sure how you arrived at this conclusion, or what you have read? 🙄

Arturia was very clear that the Spectrum banks were FREE for those buying Pigments during the intro price sale.

Otherwise, the Spectrum banks were $19.99 for current owners, instead of $99.99. And the Pigments version upgrade was completely FREE for current owners, which included a new factory sound bank for version 3.

THIS was not bait and switch in my book! Actually a very good deal!!! Kudos to Arturia for going above and beyond!!! 👍

As far as $19.99 for the Spectrum bank, I bought them as a way to thank Arturia for the free upgrade. And you know what, some of them are actually very good! But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I can accept that anybody has the right to not like them, as YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my problem is I only like 2 or 3 of the spectral packs. Amethyst, Ochre and maybe Crimson.. Really wanted to support the development of Pigments 3.. but.. :-9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

my problem is I only like 2 or 3 of the spectral packs. Amethyst, Ochre and maybe Crimson.. Really wanted to support the development of Pigments 3.. but.. :-9

Best solution. Don't use presets. Make your own sounds! Be happy!

Lots of development effort went into Pigments new features. The presets are just a showcase of what you can start to do with it! :)

Edited by abacab

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, abacab said:

Best solution. Don't use presets. Make your own sounds! Be happy!

yeah.. i could .. but i prefer to arrange and write songs.. not spend too much time coming up with new crazy synth ideas as I have no intention of getting into sound design or sound effects ..  i usually start off with a preset and adjust as needed. i find it a better use of my time.  presets are also a real good learning tool to see how other pro sound designers make sounds you like.

Edited by telecode 101

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, telecode 101 said:

yeah.. i could .. but i prefer to arrange and write songs.. not spend too much time coming up with new crazy synth ideas as I have no intention of getting into sound design or sound effects ..  i usually start off with a preset and adjust as needed. i find it a better use of my time. 

There are synths available that are designed exactly for that use case of song production, and they are often genre specific, with huge preset collections for that genre. I understand completely, and fall somewhere along the middle of that spectrum. But I probably lean more toward sound design. Or at least I waste more time on it, LOL!!!

Pigments appears to be a tool aimed at sound designers to make it easier for creating their own sounds with a complex synth.

Just as with choosing a DAW, the best advice often given is to pick the tool that best fits your workflow up front, as one shouldn't always expect that you can change any tool to be the way you want it to be.

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It does look like it will be fun to play with. Hope and prayers I figure the ins and outs 😀 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...