BFD launches new website

Carlos  Iglesias

so it seems,  from reading the the links posted,  that the need to be on the internet to use the program is intended.  I've never owned software that was only able to be used if one was online.  That's kind of absurd.  And actually renders this software useless to me,  as I want to use it in live settings.  No internet at a gig.  Maybe some random hotspot.  But that's ridiculous.  Especially for a pro product like this. Can you imagine having to explain to the band that the reason you cant play drums is cause your cant get a wifi signal?   Definitely takes the shine off this bargain.  I opened a support ticket requesting offline authorization, but haven't heard anything.  Maybe if enough people complain about this,  they will back down from this.  

Edited by Hugh Mann

14 minutes ago, Hugh Mann said:

so it seems,  from reading the the links posted,  that the need to be on the internet to use the program is intended. 

that's not how I read the (scant) available information, but I agree with you. I got a couple of free plugins authorized through iLok's cloud, which means you have to be online 100% of the time if you want to use them, and that just ruins it for me. It's stupid.

However, the BFD guy, Amberience, said that the next version will address "Expansion packs not being available when offline." Why would they address such a thing if they intended BFD not to run offline?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Monomox said:

that's not how I read the (scant) available information, but I agree with you. I got a couple of free plugins authorized through iLok's cloud, which means you have to be online 100% of the time if you want to use them, and that just ruins it for me. It's stupid.

However, the BFD guy, Amberience, said that the next version will address "Expansion packs not being available when offline." Why would they address such a thing if they intended BFD not to run offline?

going off this post: 

Yes it was pretty terrible. A support agent told me that the developers are set upon the online model and I think that it is up to all BFD users to complain about this. I live out in the country and the internet often drops out. A great many musicians work upon projects with the internet off.

It to me ages to get BFD 3.3 back to a useable state and even now there are some kits that just won't appear properly.

And also  this: 

I've raised it. Will follow up once I know more.

Amberience while you are here what is the official position about using BFD3.4 offline. Is this a thing? Or is it a by-product of licensing issues. I have to say that I will move on if online working is here to stay.

Seems like this was done on purpose.  really terrible idea for a pro product.  If no one has an issue with it,  or not enough people, then it seems like they will stick with this.  Hence my suggestion for more people to let them know that needing to be online  is just crazy.  

Update from Drew (he's been posting on Gearspace in addition to the BFD Drums Forum. 

"Hey all,
Apologies for the radio silence from me, I've been busy putting out fires. Next build should resolve the keychain annoyances. It will also resolve the factory+user content migration bug. It will also resolve sluggishness on loading the plugin. It will also resolve lack of Pro Tools support on Windows (this was a known issue that I posted about on the BFD forum at launch). It will also fix authorizations not working for expansion packs when the computer is offline.

For anyone who doesn't know, I've been with BFD since 2008. I'm the current product owner for BFD, and I'll be the first one to admit that we certainly have issues. It might not sound like a useful thing to say, but the issues at launch are not widespread and we have already migrated 6000 users, with about 600 issues to deal with in our support system. Tickets **ARE** getting through. There is a bug in the contact form that it doesn't show you the confirmation. This is logged with the web-team.

That's not meant to be a defense of our sloppiness btw - I wouldn't be here if I didn't care!

I will endeavour to do my best to represent the reality on the ground, and to represent our users interests. That's my job. Hopefully by next week most of the major issues will be resolved.

I will keep posting here, not to worry."

I tried  'support@bfddrums.com', got nothing,  From Drew on the BFD Drums Forum;

" Hey all! Anyone who needs replacement serials for BFD1, BFD2, SP1, SP2, and ZP1, please private message me. I will need your:

> FXpansion username

> Product serial number(s)

> inMusic Profile username

I’ll then get back to you with serial numbers. Apologize for the rather manual way of doing this, but it’s the best I’ve got right now! "

My guess is they have some really big fires to put out and the "official/expected" channels aren't resolved yet.  Drew is apparently trying to plug the holes in the meantime but he's only got 10 fingers. I imagine they'll get it sorted out eventually, but if you need any of the noted content before then, this is likely your best shot. 

47 minutes ago, jackson white said:

My guess is they have some really big fires to put out and the "official/expected" channels aren't resolved yet.  Drew is apparently trying to plug the holes in the meantime but he's only got 10 fingers. I imagine they'll get it sorted out eventually, but if you need any of the noted content before then, this is likely your best shot. 

Yes, and it sounds like he's trying to me. And as long as he keeps trying, I'll stick with 'em.

I didn't have any problems migrating but I owned none of the expansions.  Though now that I think about it I may have lost something when I deleted/uninstalled the old version.  I may need to look.  I might have installed something that wasn't from them and just didn't realize it in my zeal to clean up and move to the new stuff.

13 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Though now that I think about it I may have lost something when I deleted/uninstalled the old version. 

Matt you can go to your fxpansion still and it will show you what you have from them. But the third party stuff, IDK 'bout that. That may be gone if you can't remember. : (

I went to my fxpansion account because I knew I got the Zildjian cymbal pack, but couldn't remember if I got it from them or a third party. But they are registered in my account so your stuff could be there too? IDK I just can't remember who I got the cymbals from.

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Got my Z Pack replacement serial. Its installing now.

That's what I was wondering about. Did you try to install it with the new installer and the Serial # from the fxpansion site?

4 minutes ago, Grem said:

That's what I was wondering about. Did you try to install it with the new installer and the Serial # from the fxpansion site?

I was told to register the replacement serial Drew gave me  in BFD Drums Liense Manager. It does require a fresh download though.

• Thanks 1

@Bapu Thanks.

Starting to see the problems that everyone has been talking about. This is the first time I sat at my music computer and fired up the new and improved BFD. 

I have the Zildjian cymbal pack and the Platinum Samples Rock Legends Quick Pack ( not sure if that's only for BFD Eco?). And neither of those serial codes work in the new installer. Been keeping up with this thread on my phone, so I really didn't have any hands on experience with the new installer. Now that I am here I see what the problems are.

2 minutes ago, Bapu said:

It does require a fresh download though.

the whole BFD 3 package!!!? Man I hope not, that took forever.

19 minutes ago, Grem said:

@Bapu Thanks.

Starting to see the problems that everyone has been talking about. This is the first time I sat at my music computer and fired up the new and improved BFD. 

I have the Zildjian cymbal pack and the Platinum Samples Rock Legends Quick Pack ( not sure if that's only for BFD Eco?). And neither of those serial codes work in the new installer. Been keeping up with this thread on my phone, so I really didn't have any hands on experience with the new installer. Now that I am here I see what the problems are.

the whole BFD 3 package!!!? Man I hope not, that took forever.

Just the cymbal pack.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grem said:

Looking at my inMusic account, the Platinum Samples pack got migrated over. And registered. But no d/l available to install. What's up with that?

Platinum Samples stuff was always downloaded from Platinum Samples site similar to most third of party packs (Drum Droos, Sonic Reality)  as I recall. 

15 minutes ago, Greg said:

Platinum Samples stuff was always downloaded from Platinum Samples site similar to most third of party packs (Drum Droos, Sonic Reality)  as I recall. 

33 minutes ago, Grem said:

Looking at my inMusic account, the Platinum Samples pack got migrated over. And registered. But no d/l available to install. What's up with that?

Correct and Rail at Platinum Samples (as I said earlier in this thread) said they will update their content and installers once they get the specs from InMusic.

Esoundz does not seem to think they are gonna update for BFDDrums, at least that's how I understand it from a support ticket I submitted.

7 minutes ago, Bapu said:

Correct and Rail at Platinum Samples (as I said earlier in this thread) said they will update their content and installers once they get the specs from InMusic.

I remember you saying something about this. Couldn't remember if it was a migration issue or install. Thanks for the info.

Waiting patiently.... now. : )

Got my Z Pack replacement serial from Drew. Its currently downloading now.
When upgrading to InMusic BFD I did not have to reinstall/download the core BFD set, only the update; it linked to the previous BFD 3 installation.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1