Reaper updated to 6.27

cclarry

REAPER 6.27 is available, with the following updates:
  + Dither: fix half-bit DC offset [p=2425940]
  + FX: add option to not add undo points when closing FX windows [t=250733]
  + FX: improve pin connector window
  + FX: fix persistence of take FX processing channel count when processing only 2 channels on a track with more than 2 channels
  + JSFX: add Channel Mapper-Downmixer plugin
  + JSFX: add option in pin connector dialog I/O menu to pass through or zero out unused output channels
  + JSFX: support drawing vertical text via gfx_setfont flag 'z' (does not work with system/bitmapped font)
  + JSFX: allow Webdings/Wingdings for gfx_setfont() use on Windows [twtr=1376339905408815106]
  + macOS: add prefs/general/advanced option for window fullscreen button to activate fullscreen rather than OS fullscreen
  + macOS: add prefs/general/advanced options for rounded buttons and big sur listview margins
  + macOS: disable macOS 10.12+ Window tabbing menu items
  + Media item channel mapper: control/command-click a mapping to set exclusively for that channel
  + Media items: add action to set channel mapping for selected media items
  + MIDI: output multiple note-offs for the same channel/pitch if there are multiple sequential note-ons
  + Project time offset: preserve maximum resolution when setting project time offset to edit cursor position [p=2428360]
  + ReaScript: support drawing vertical text via gfx_setfont flag 'z' (does not work with system/bitmapped font)
  + ReaScript: allow Webdings/Wingdings for gfx_setfont() use on Windows [twtr=1376339905408815106]
  + ReaScript: correct documentation for Set/GetMasterTrackVisibility
  + ReaTune: fix potential crash with certain parameter settings and UI open [t=251553]
  + Render: resolve $samplerate wildcard correctly when mixing at one sample rate but rendering to another [t=249713]
  + TCP FX List: fix multi-column scroll extent issue [t=245850]
  + Timeline: truncate seconds and samples display rather than rounding, for consistency with H:M:S and H:M:S:F display
  + Timeline: when displaying minutes:seconds and a project start offset exists, center ruler major tick marks on project time zero rather than the start of the timeline
  + Track manager: display track channel count
  + VST: add I/O menu item in FX pin connector dialog to increase host channel count to match plugin
  + VST: add option in pin connector dialog I/O menu to pass through or zero out unused output channels
  + VST: cache VST3 parameter/bus/latency information for improved performance with yabridge and plug-ins
  + VST: improve behavior when VST3 plug-ins call restartComponent(kReloadComponent)
  + VST: more flexible support for passing MIDI program change messages to VST3 [t=251104]

https://www.reaper.fm/download.php

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, cclarry said:

REAPER 6.27 is available, with the following updates: ...

Thanks Larry! I think your reminder is very useful, just at the right time!

Well if I look at the current evolution of CbB ☹️ ... it is definitely time to cotton up to Reaper! I already have a license. 😄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, marled said:

Thanks Larry! I think your reminder is very useful, just at the right time!

Well if I look at the current evolution of CbB ☹️ ... it is definitely time to cotton up to Reaper! I already have a license. 😄

Do you have the azslow Reaper utility to convert your CbB projects to Reaper? It worked pretty good for several projects I converted for fun.

I almost went full Reaper, but decided to go with Studio One Pro after the release of v4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Young said:

I think it is the best DAW out there but so far I've never gotten deep into it.

I agree.

Nested "tracks/folders/buses" since a track is anything you want it to be

Fully customizable workflow (and a multitude of skins if you add on the SWS extensions)

Multi-Platform (PC/Mac/Linux) entirely self contained, i.e. does not reply on any OS "libraries"

Extremely small footprint

Installable to an external device (USB stick or  drive, carry it everywhere you go in your pocket)

Very inexpensive (hobbyist) license for $60 covers two full releases

Constant updates/fixes

And, the owner is fairly flush with cash (not as much as Meng though) so this is not a market driven company much like CbB is now.

Edited by Bapu
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bapu said:

Do you have the azslow Reaper utility to convert your CbB projects to Reaper? It worked pretty good for several projects I converted for fun.

I almost went full Reaper, but decided to go with Studio One Pro after the release of v4.

No, at the moment I do not need to convert some projects, because I always work in small steps with their own projects and then I save the wave files (is super easy to backup and you can always jump to another program for the next step!) and use them in the final mix project. But thanks for the hint, maybe I will need it in the future!

Studio One is no option for me, I don't like the interface and especially their business model!

It took me awhile to get fully into Reaper, but now I could not see using anything else. It was worth the learning curve. No DAW comes close to Reaper's performance.  Projects that would bring Cakewalk to its knees, have no affect on Reaper. I have not had a crash in over two years of using it. I'm not a power user, but I have a few custom actions that would be hard to live without.  Kenny Gioia has some great tutorial videos on YouTube.  They helped me a great deal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bapu said:

Nested "tracks/folders/buses" since a track is anything you want it to be

Fully customizable workflow (and a multitude of skins if you add on the SWS extensions)

Multi-Platform (PC/Mac/Linux) entirely self contained, i.e. does not reply on any OS "libraries"

These really stand out from your list.  I'm impressed on how Reaper is self contained.    

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cclarry said:

And fully customizable with Python

Cool! I didn't know that.  I'm getting a new 2n1 laptop next month and plan to install Reaper on it and spend time with it every night for a month at least to finally see if I can get along with the beast LOL

Yes, REAPER is powerful but I just can’t gel with the interface (beyond skins). I’m always customizing it instead of making music. It has a massive windows focusing problem and the input quantize function is broken in many ways. The piano roll never focuses on the notes that are there and it doesn’t remember the zooming when you re-open it. I also REALLY hate the fact that the developer feels the need to shove his political opinions down the users throats.

Cakewalk, with its relative deficiencies, is much better for me in terms of usability. Studio One is nice but couldn’t gel with the UI.

IMHO, YMMV, yada yada...

• Like 2

@Esteban Villanova  I didn't say I was replacing CbB.  Just thought I should expand my knowledge.  For my humble needs CbB has worked very well. I don't think I push the audio engine that much with my projects.  Reaper and I have been the couple that you always see arguing and should separate but don't never do.  😆      I guess that I started with Cakewalk in the Twelve-Tone days  and found it fine for my needs. 

4 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

The name that that are  given along with  the update number.   YMMV if you're offended.

Ah, I see - I just had a look at the previous versions archive; a bit like a specific fairly well-known text editor.