Tracks stop playing audio being edited.

Robert Glaser

I have a large file (orchestral) with a lot of tracks and a lot of samples loaded from 3 different brands of samples (EastWest, Arturia, and Kontact).

When I simply "play" the file, it runs perfectly. The problem comes when I edit the midi in any track. After doing edits (from adding or changing a note or two to adding simple to complex dynamic or expression changes to controllers), at some point during the edit and playback check,the instrument on that track will stop playing audio for that track (playback with no sound for that track only) or the entire set of instruments for that group/instance. Other tracks will still play. The only solution is to save the file, close it and then reopen it. This save-close-reopen process takes over three minutes and is incredibly frustrating. I never know when it is going to happen but it always does - sometime after about 2-10 minutes.

I tried freezing all the tracks I wasn't editing (which took hours because of the length and number of tracks) just to see if that would solve the problem and it didn't.

My laptop is running Windows 10, has a Xeon Quad  core processor, 64 Gb RAM, 60 free GB  on disk (SSD). Cakewalk doesn't show the system as being over taxed at all.

Is it a bug or is there something I can do?
Does anyone else have a problem like this.

Not sure if this will work, I used to have times that after a lot of midi edits the program would become slow to respond, but if I saved the project it would perk up again. Sort of like you can only stuff so much into the undo function or? Just thinking that I haven't had this happen for a long time now.