Lucky Break

Douglas Kirby

Whatever reverb you have on the lead vocal really works for me. The vocal is exposed, especially in the first verse, and I think that reverb is perfect, what are you using?

You might consider a slightly different eq approach with the bass guitar? It's a bit indistinct and a bit, sorry to use this horrible term, "muddy"? Everything else (guitars drums vocals) are super clean and so maybe the bass just sounds swampy in comparison. 

All of those guitar parts really work well together and I love the parts you played, super cool ideas that don't stop coming. Nice!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

Douglas , Nice ! You got some great tones on the strat. I really liked the sweeping effect on the backing guitars . Sounded like the upstrokes were perfectly timed to move to the right side. Was this manually done or an auto pan vst ? Enjoyed it , I believe I could dance to this one (if I could dance)..  mark

• Like 1

This one goes in my Doug Kirby top 5 hits.
Besides the solo guitar playing, I'm always impressed with how you do your accompanying tracks too. Just great.

I saw a news report on NPR a while ago where they mentioned Westerly and I thought hey that sounds familiar. It had something to do with giving vaccines in Rhode Island and it featured your town.
-Bjorn

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Whatever reverb you have on the lead vocal really works for me. The vocal is exposed, especially in the first verse, and I think that reverb is perfect, what are you using?

You might consider a slightly different eq approach with the bass guitar? It's a bit indistinct and a bit, sorry to use this horrible term, "muddy"? Everything else (guitars drums vocals) are super clean and so maybe the bass just sounds swampy in comparison. 

All of those guitar parts really work well together and I love the parts you played, super cool ideas that don't stop coming. Nice!

cheers,

-Tom

Hi Tom - thanks for listening.  You think the bass is a bit muddy - interesting - I'll give the bass another listen.

On 4/16/2021 at 9:03 AM, mark skinner said:

Douglas , Nice ! You got some great tones on the strat. I really liked the sweeping effect on the backing guitars . Sounded like the upstrokes were perfectly timed to move to the right side. Was this manually done or an auto pan vst ? Enjoyed it , I believe I could dance to this one (if I could dance)..  mark

I used TH-U on the backing guitars for the chorus - there's a chorus/phaser effect there  and a delay- so it's just by chance that the upstrokes, as you mentioned, are perfectly timed to move to the right side. Thanks for listening.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:21 PM, bjornpdx said:

This one goes in my Doug Kirby top 5 hits.
Besides the solo guitar playing, I'm always impressed with how you do your accompanying tracks too. Just great.

I saw a news report on NPR a while ago where they mentioned Westerly and I thought hey that sounds familiar. It had something to do with giving vaccines in Rhode Island and it featured your town.
-Bjorn

Hi Bjorn - I'm glad you liked this one.  Yes, they are giving vaccines in Westerly - I just got my first shot last week, and I'm looking forward to the second shot. Thanks for taking the time to listen to my song.

More Kirby goodness!

👍's

almost that "electric sitar" sound on the solo, who made those?

t

On 4/15/2021 at 5:12 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Whatever reverb you have on the lead vocal really works for me

evidently Doug's not sharing 😞

Edited by DeeringAmps
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

More Kirby goodness!

👍's

almost that "electric sitar" sound on the solo, who made those?

t

evidently Doug's not sharing 😞

Hi Tom - thanks for listening.  The solo has a chorus/flanger and an auto-wah - courtesy of TH-U. Regarding the verb on the lead vocal - I used the ReMatrix reverb in the ProChannel - I have never used it before and decided to give it a try and came up with something I liked. I usually apply reverb in the FX Bin.

• Thanks 1

Love this song Douglas!  The rhythmic riff throughout "Lucky Break" is absolutely hypnotic and good.  The sounds that you have gotten out of that Strat are excellent.  Vocals and BGV's are also excellent!  What-the-hey, the whole doggone thing is just terrific!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, freddy j said:

Love this song Douglas!  The rhythmic riff throughout "Lucky Break" is absolutely hypnotic and good.  The sounds that you have gotten out of that Strat are excellent.  Vocals and BGV's are also excellent!  What-the-hey, the whole doggone thing is just terrific!

Hey Freddy - thanks - I appreciate the compliments.

22 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Great strat tone , I always add too many instruments to my mixes , I really like te stripped down feel to this great makes everything so clear and transparent clever welll done cheers

Hi Paul - thanks for listening, and I'm glad you liked it.