Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition Pre-order

cclarry

New Purchase is $795 and Upgrade from Hollywood Orchestra Diamond is $495!
(they've lost their minds)

http://www.soundsonline.com/hollywood-orchestra-opus-edition

WHAT'S

INCLUDED?

Includes over 130GB of brand new recordings (total size is now 944GB)

Includes reimagined original content for all sections and solo instruments

Includes all new interfaces that change color depending on the MOOD selected

Includes Hollywood Orchestrator ($299 value), a must-have tool for all composers

Includes all Hollywood Solo Instruments ($299 value)

Includes Innovative new features and effects powered by our new OPUS engine

46 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

It's a tad confusing but I think I will get the Gold edition with my Composer Cloud X subscription. The website seems to want to persuade you to upgrade to plus and get platinum which would be overkill for my needs.

As a Cloud X subscriber too, I was confused also, but it does seem to be included. To be honest though, I didn’t do the upgrade on NI Komplete Collectors this time. I was anticipating the upgrade on East West in May when my sub is due.

Interesting opinion by BRVLN over at VIC;

”First impressions:

Overall:
This really feels like the "Lite" version of what Hollywood Orchestra used to be.

With HO I had every patch I needed for any situation. With Opus, they kinda bundled everything together to very few patches. I personally hate the Slur+Port legato combos...
I don't understand why they got rid of so many patches in the previous HO library.

The "mood" changes nothing except the mics that are loaded and the ratio between them (and consord for strings in the soft passion). I think pro users usually like to dial things themselves. And to me having to turn off the surround mic every time I load a patch is a time waste...

Even the preferences are watered down... Can't fine-tune the settings as I could in Play and I'm getting more note cutoffs than I did using Play (I'm using a 28-core Mac Pro with 192GB of RAM running off SSD's for god sake!!).

As far as sound:
When I A/B HO & Opus and hear no difference whatsoever in terms of sound. (If anything I like how Play reacts to my playing better).

Orchestrator:
I found one or two patches that I really liked and see myself use in my template (usually legato stuff in octaves).
But the playability is flimsy and the engine is having a hard time to figure out the legato stuff inside of chords and this makes for weird artifacts in sound (at best) and occasionally notes being cut off (more than you think).

It's a nice novelty. But again, feels targeted way more towards amateur composers or composers in a hurry trying to finish a gig that pays too low for them to orchestrate stuff for them.
I will say, it's great for orchestration ideas, or maybe as a learning tool, but I don't see myself use it a lot.

I'm giving this a 4/10.
Because of price to what you're getting ratio. It's nothing new (most things we had already in HO and more) and I feel it's a downgrade from play.
IMHO”

• Like 1

Of course EW got a lot of flack in some channels  for the hundreds of patches and some may welcome streamlining.  My first impression was the woodwind in particular sounded better to my ears.

I think I need time to explore Opus and Orchestrator. I think many of the old type features are in Opus if you don't use Orchestrator but I am not certain yet.