7.1 Editing, Monitoring & Output

Zakk Rokkanno

Question

I am learning to edit in 7.1 but am finding it hard to set up.

I have strix 7.1 headphones [proper 7.1 not emulated] and wish to monitor my work in full 7.1 through my headset.

However I seem to only be able to select strix 1 or 2 channels - not the other 6

How do I assign outputs so that I can listen to my work in full 7.1  

Once this is solved and I have created my 7.1 mix I assume exporting my work will automatically render it to a full 7.1 audio file I can play back in whatever 7.1 capable player I have

Is that the case - if not - how do I do this.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can give me the step by steps to sort my 7.1 monitoring issue & export 

cheers

Zakk

1 answer to this question

The manual alludes to it having an ASIO driver, so first make sure you've got that installed and you've set CbB to use ASIO mode within Preferences->Audio->Driver Settings, and all the outputs are enabled within Preferences->Audio->Devices.

Next, make sure you've got surround set up within CbB within Preferences->Project->Surround. 

First set the Surround Format to 7.1, assign each of the outputs 1 thru 8 to the relevant outputs on your Strix device, then save it as a preset.

Checkout the "Surround Mixing" part of the Cakewalk Reference Guide (page 985). The reference guide can be downloaded via the "Cakewalk By BandLab" menu at the top of this site.