[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2021.04 Early Access

Something strange is happening in my project when I add an instrument (split) to a folder. The tracks appear at the bottom of the track view, indented but NOT IN A FOLDER. When I scroll up to the folder I expect to see the new tracks in, they are not visible. Scroll down - they've vanished from the bottom of the list also. The Track Manager thinks the tracks exist, in the intended folder. The soft synth does appear in the Synth Rack. The new tracks are not visible in the Track View.

I am going to try and capture this, it's so weird. Observe:

• I select a track in the target folder, "Drums B".'
  • I insert an instrument/split
  • The new tracks appear at  the bottom of the track view, indented but not in a folder
  • When I manipulate the track view (open, close folders) the new tracks have vanished
  • The new tracks show in the Track Manager as being in the target folder (but they aren't there)
  • (The VST did get added to the Synth Rack)

CW_add_instrument_track_bug.gif

When I save the project, close Cakewalk, and then re-open the project, the two new tracks are now visible  in the track view - AT THE BOTTOM, INDENTED, BUT NOT IN A FOLDER. They only show up if the target folder is open:

CW_add_instrument_track_bug_2.gif

I don't know why the "Guitars" folder has moved in the track list order 😕

16 minutes ago, Sergei Pilin said:

Most likely a bug: displaying the tempo track in a different screenset or a workspace affects the layout of the original  screenset/workspace without tempo track once you return to it.

Screensets, project templates and workspaces have no information saved as to how the tempo track should be displayed (i.e. its size & visibility).

We've updated the stock templates / workspaces to reflect this, but you'll need to re-save any of your custom screensets, templates or workspaces in 2021.04 to ensure they're updated.

1 minute ago, msmcleod said:

We've updated the stock templates / workspaces to reflect this, but you'll need to re-save any of your custom screensets, templates or workspaces in 2021.04 to ensure they're updated.

It doesn't matter if I use my old template (resaved of course) or take a new one as a starting point, once I switch between workspaces OR screensets one of which has the tempo map displayed and the one doesn't, the arranger track on the one that doesn't have tempo map disappears like on my screenshot above.

20 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Screensets, project templates and workspaces have no information saved as to how the tempo track should be displayed (i.e. its size & visibility).

Here's how to reproduce the bug:

Start with the supplied Advanced template, it has both Arranger and Tempo tracks

Hide the Tempo track

Switch to second screenset, it will have Tempo track displayed again.

Enlarge the tempo track like on my screenshot

Switch back to the first screenset - Arranger track will be gone there.

I may be experiencing some degardation with the EA. To try it out I decided to simply run my last project from last week. That project is a little on the heavy CPU usage on my DAW's PC. In 2020.01, it would play but it was starting to crackle a bit because of the heavy load, but it would play. Since that project was over, I was ok with that and didn't do anything to improve things. Now, to try 2020.04 EA I decided to simply open that project so I could look at the newest features (which are simply excellent btw!) and now when I press play, it barely plays for a couple of seconds and it stops on Audio Engine Dropout. I am pretty sure I haven't changed anything in the project.

Is it possible, because of the new features, that the CPU load is increased somewhat even slightly and since my project was barely making it in 2020.01 it now does not have just enough CPU cycles to run?

I have tried rebooting to make sure I was starting with a clean slate and it didn't help. I am of course running with a maximum buffer size of 1024 on my Scarlett 2i4.

What I haven't tried yet is rollback the installation and double check that there really is a difference and didn't imagine anything. 🤥 

Is it possible to have two versions of Cakewalk installed on the same machine to make this type of comparaison easier to do, instead of rolling back?

Of course, we can't rule out that some Windows update creeped in an is the culprit... 🤨

2 hours ago, Sergei Pilin said:

Here's how to reproduce the bug:

Start with the supplied Advanced template, it has both Arranger and Tempo tracks

Hide the Tempo track

Switch to second screenset, it will have Tempo track displayed again.

Enlarge the tempo track like on my screenshot

Switch back to the first screenset - Arranger track will be gone there.

Sorry, cannot reproduce:

switchingScreensets.gif

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Ahhhh! Interesting.

This might solve my problem. 😐 

V-Vocal does not appear to be reliable in 2021.04 EA.

I rolled back to 2021.01 to double-check: It works in 2021.01.

In 2021.04 EA, I get an empty blank V-Vocal window, no waveform, no detection, consistently for some clips. Other clips appear to work.

This is even after re-registering the Cronus.dll (just in case that makes a difference).

I'm just putting it out here, I realize that pointing out problems with V-Vocal in this day and age is a bit of a windmill-tilting exercise.

If V-Vocal works in 2021.01 but not in 2021.04 and beyond... I'm gonna have to keep a machine around running 2021.01.

MORE INFO: Hmm. It may be more complicated. New clips are okay in 2021.04 EA. It may be something about a particular group of clips. Still, it seems odd that 2021.01 has no issues with them.

MORE MORE INFO: If I bounce the clips to a new track and re-try applying the V-Vocal regionfx, it works. Okay, panic over, I've encountered this before. Some clips are just badly behaved. I think I can work around this specific issue. I'm tracking more vocals this week so I'll give it a work-out.

YET MORE:

Nope it's just not working reliably, not even on newly recorded clips or bounced tracks. I rolled back again to 2021.01 and processed the clips without problems. This is very sad. 😞

Edited by Colin Nicholls
more information

Bandlab seems to mute uploaded mixdowns by default. Can this be disabled if uploading only a full mixdown? Otherwise to get the file to play through the Bandlab app, I have to unmute the track in the mix editor and then save as another new revision. 

Will there ever be support for greater than 16 tracks on Bandlab?

Not EA related but, where can people get support for Bandlab? I haven't been able to get it to work with my behringher UMC 404hd interface. 

Thanks for all your work on Cakewalk!

9 minutes ago, Colin Nicholls said:

V-Vocal does not appear to be reliable in 2021.04 EA.

I rolled back to 2021.01 to double-check: It works in 2021.01.

In 2021.04 EA, I get an empty blank V-Vocal window, no waveform, no detection, consistently for some clips. Other clips appear to work.

This is even after re-registering the Cronus.dll (just in case that makes a difference).

I'm just putting it out here, I realize that pointing out problems with V-Vocal in this day and age is a bit of a windmill-tilting exercise.

If V-Vocal works in 2021.01 but not in 2021.04 and beyond... I'm gonna have to keep a machine around running 2021.01.

Mine is working (yeah, I know, that doesn't help you!) on every clip I've tried it on so far (random ones, not just vocals), so it's not fundamentally broken.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, James Holmes said:

Bandlab seems to mute uploaded mixdowns by default. Can this be disabled if uploading only a full mixdown? Otherwise to get the file to play through the Bandlab app, I have to unmute the track in the mix editor and then save as another new revision. 

Will there ever be support for greater than 16 tracks on Bandlab?

Not EA related but, where can people get support for Bandlab? I haven't been able to get it to work with my behringher UMC 404hd interface. 

Thanks for all your work on Cakewalk!

We mute uploaded mixdowns if you are also uploading tracks, otherwise you would get doubled audio. If you upload just a full mixdown it shouldn't be muted. Are you seeing that happen?

Its possible that there could be tiers for more than 16 tracks but I don't know of any immediate plans. Feel free to contact BandLab support for enquiries or requests.
For BandLab specific help you can contact support@bandlab.com

10 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Its most likely because those folders are not sub menus as I explained above. So you need to click them to open a new menu.

@Noel BorthwickI saw in another thread these (the new non-scrolling lists) were referred to as cascading menus and fly-out menus.  I see also that others are using different words.

To avoid confusion, what have they been called internally, or rather what will they be called when officially released? 

(Apologies if its in the EA features/changes description already.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris.r said:

I think I can see the different colors for VST2/VST3/DX on the right (not plugin names), but the difference is almost indistinguishable here.

I like the text references instead of the images (easier to read) and I expect the new cascading/flyout lists will be met with appreciation).

(1) Assuming the changes to "DX," "VST2," and "VST3" will be in the official release, will they be editable when a new Theme Editor is released? [UPDATE: partially editable currently]

(2) If so, will they be text so we can just change the colors/colours (as opposed to images with text that will need to be re-colored/re-coloured)? [UPDATE: partially editable currently]

(3) If text, could they be set up as bold so they are more visible? 

(4) If there are changes (either text or text within image), will those be included in the list of recent changes [UPDATE: not needed]

image.thumb.png.3d5d30e4813b4b9427e808134cfc5ebb.png              image.thumb.png.2ebaac9847861b832829eddb7e327d8a.png

Edited by User 905133
to strikeout several questions based on further exploration with the theme editor
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

(3) If text, could they be set up as bold so they are more visible? 

LOL.. as for "more visible", on your picture I can actually tell the VST3 is kind of a bluey, sort of.. on my system I can barely see any difference, more like a change in the tint of grey