How to use Unison Midi Drum blueprint

Nilrik

Hi all,

I'm new to music and Cakewalk - I've been struggling for a while now. I decided to get some Midi packs to get started. I downloaded Unison Midi Drum Blueprint pack. It's loaded but unfortunately I don't know how to use it properly. I thought that you could easily drag and drop both the Miditrack itself (to the track) and then choose instrument (drums) but it seems like it don't work that way. There is also some drumsound samples in .wav format - is it something you can use when making drumbeats or do I have to choose instruments from Cakewalk, Sampletank etcetera. There are miditracks like this:

image.png.5dad2f9ac0d0ed46244b3a1a6b7a41c9.png

I try to make open hat in one track, Kick in the other track and so on. I thougt that you could mark all the 5 separate drumtracks and simply drag them to the workspace and it would be 5 separate tracks. (is it possible in a simple way just to choose a sound for each track or instrument and it would play the correct drumsound)

Please, if someone know how to use it properly tell me step by step (like you told a seven year old) how to do it.

Best regards

Rikard

There is no documentation more than a video tutorial more showing how to use chordprogressions, which is a quite simpel process. I wonder how to drag and drop each drum and assign sound to them. In other Daws I understand that you simply can drag all, let's say, five drums to workspace and automatically the Daw creates a track for each drum, to which you assign a sound, and the Daw knows if it's a Kick or snare from that particular instument/vst(drumkit) to use.

I tried just using the TTS within Cakewalk and got sound but not kicks, hi-hats etecera even i I choosed one of the drumsets. I'm a bit lost 🙂

I will keep trying, and if I by myself find a good solution I will share with you

The problem is matching which note Unison use for kick and which your drum instrument uses. This is not a trivial thing to solve. It will take learning you to use the Piano Roll View, you will have to learn how to create a Drum Map that maps the notes differently.

I can't even find drum packs on their site to see what they say about it. It all seems to be chords.

It has its own drum kits.

A horrible website. Horrible.

Thanks for the link.

From what I can see it is a VST.
Self-contained.
You don't use a drum VST.
You add it as an instrument.
Open up the GUI by clicking on the track icon.
Once open, you select your beats/grooves/patterns whatever.
Then you select the drum kit.

Open up an instance of the VST first, so you can compare.
Click on the link you supplied.
Scroll down until you see   Watch The Unison MIDI Drum Blueprint In Action:
Click on the Play arrow.

Watch and try to learn. You will run out of time.
The video will keep disappearing, so you will have to click on the link again, scroll down to the video, press Play again.
Etc etc etc.

It should be against the law to make web pages like that.

But the main point is that it doesn't use drum VSTs. It does everything itself.

Open it up, choose patterns, choose drums.
Create a melody or bass track.
Press Play - you will have drums behind your melody, bass, whatever.

I think it will take a bit of practice to achieve what you want, but stick at it.

You do not add the MIDI tracks as you have tried to do.

Edited by Nigel Mackay

If necessary, there is a Tutorials section in the forum.

Go there, look for tutorials about:
What is a VST, aka plug-in.
How to install them.
How to Scan for VSTs.
How to add them to the track pane.
How to open the GUI of the plug-in.

Watch lots of them until you catch on.
Some people click with one explanation, others with another.
Keep going until you say "Eureka"

4 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

If necessary, there is a Tutorials section in the forum.

Go there, look for tutorials about:
What is a VST, aka plug-in.
How to install them.
How to Scan for VSTs.
How to add them to the track pane.
How to open the GUI of the plug-in.

Watch lots of them until you catch on.
Some people click with one explanation, others with another.
Keep going until you say "Eureka"

Thanks a lot Nigel, very very helpful. I will study and practice and let you know when “Eureka” arrives 😄

• Like 1