The Staff view cannot handle meters that are longer than 16 quarter notes

Brak Bnei

I am running Sonar 2.2.

When I try to make  8/2 time signature while staff view is open I get the following error message:

"The Staff view cannot handle meters that are longer than 16 quarter notes"

And when I press the "Ok" button the error message closes as well as the staff view.

If I try to reopen the staff view without changing the time signature to a "valid" signature I get an "Out of memory" error message and then the program crashes.

I have three questions :

1.  Why is there such a limitation?

2. Why did I get this error as 8/2 is exactly 16 quarter note - not more.

3. Is there a patch to fix this bug?

It looks like the restriction is still in place in CbB, but the program no longer crashes - it just closes the staff view and won't let you open it again while that time signature exists in your meter map.

The message is a bit misleading - it has actually reached its limit in this case. The staff view can only cope with bars that are less than 128 1/32 notes in length (i.e. the limit is 127 1/32 notes, which is what I'm seeing in the code ). The Staff View code is very old, so the limitation is probably due to the size of the variable it's using to store what notes are where within a bar.  So bars of 128 1/32 notes or more are too long.

As far as a patch for SONAR 2.2 is concerned, SONAR 2.2 was the patch for SONAR 2.0.  It was released over 18 years ago, and is no longer supported.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It looks like the restriction is still in place in CbB, but the program no longer crashes - it just closes the staff view and won't let you open it again while that time signature exists in your meter map.

The message is a bit misleading - it has actually reached its limit in this case. The staff view can only cope with bars that are less than 128 1/32 notes in length (i.e. the limit is 127 1/32 notes, which is what I'm seeing in the code ). The Staff View code is very old, so the limitation is probably due to the size of the variable it's using to store what notes are where within a bar.  So bars of 128 1/32 notes or more are too long.

As far as a patch for SONAR 2.2 is concerned, SONAR 2.2 was the patch for SONAR 2.0.  It was released over 18 years ago, and is no longer supported.

It's pretty cool that you are looking at the staff view code and can actually decipher it.  🙂

11 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Wow! You rock! Thank you so much looking at the code and figuring all that out.

Seems weird that 127 and not 128 would be the limit, or is it using that extra space for some kind of header or pointer?

I guess I need to write a song now in 127/32. :)