Cakewalk is not responding

Guitar Guy

I just downloaded cakewalk on my new laptop and 

When opening the program, it spinning and spinning just to open project selection window (recent projects). Then if it does opens it- I click on the project that used to work and now it spinning and spinning and then it says- program is not responding 

dvrghnj5gtbrt4gb rg4.PNG

• Like 2

Are any of you using the Realtek ASIO driver?  This driver has known issues (it doesn't even pass the basic ASIO SDK tests).

I had exactly the same symptoms described above on my laptop ( with a pretty new i9 6 core/12 thread processor) using the Realtek ASIO driver.

The fix is to switch to WASAPI mode in Preferences->Audio->Playback and Recording.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @msmcleod

I'm using Realtek ASIO driver and my Cakewalk - Preferences->Audio->Playback and Recording was set at ASIO.

I changed to WASAPI Shared or WASAPI Exclusive.

I started a new project, so far no more "Not responding" issue.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

As you said, seems like it's due to the Realtek ASIO driver issue, but why though?

What's the differences between Realtek ASIO, WASAPI Shared and WASAPI Exclusive?

I have yet to fully dive into the functions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ScarBlend said:

Hi @msmcleod

I'm using Realtek ASIO driver and my Cakewalk - Preferences->Audio->Playback and Recording was set at ASIO.

I changed to WASAPI Shared or WASAPI Exclusive.

I started a new project, so far no more "Not responding" issue.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

As you said, seems like it's due to the Realtek ASIO driver issue, but why though?

What's the differences between Realtek ASIO, WASAPI Shared and WASAPI Exclusive?

I have yet to fully dive into the functions.

I'm glad its solved your issue.

ASIO is normally the preferred driver mode, as it offers the lowest latency for working with your audio device. Most professional audio interfaces provide an ASIO driver. However for some reason, the ASIO drivers for the onboard Realtek have not been written properly - they fail even the most basic tests when using the ASIO SDK test programs.  

WASAPI is Microsoft's low latency audio drivers. We recommend using WASAPI whenever using onboard audio devices.  WASAPI Exclusive has the lowest latency, but means that only Cakewalk can use the audio device when it has control of it.  WASAPI shared will share the audio device with other Windows programs, but has a higher latency.

WDM is an older Microsoft driver model. Latency is relatively high for WDM, but works with older audio devices.

MME is Microsoft's oldest audio driver model and has the worst latency. It dates back to Windows 3. Don't confuse this with MME for MIDI drivers - MIDI is absolutely fine using MME, but MME for audio is essentially obsolete nowadays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

WASAPI is Microsoft's low latency audio drivers. We recommend using WASAPI whenever using onboard audio devices.  WASAPI Exclusive has the lowest latency, but means that only Cakewalk can use the audio device when it has control of it.  WASAPI shared will share the audio device with other Windows programs, but has a higher latency.

19 hours ago, pwalpwal said:

what mode does a new/fresh/clean install default to? if not already, it seems it should be wasapi?

On 4/17/2021 at 6:04 PM, pwalpwal said:

what mode does a new/fresh/clean install default to? if not already, it seems it should be wasapi?

Normally you should use ASIO if its available, and IIRC a fresh install will choose ASIO if an ASIO driver is available.

The Realtek ASIO driver is an anomaly - it amazes me that they would release a driver that doesn't even pass the most basic SDK tests.

Ironically, some pro audio audio interfaces seem to have slightly worse WASAPI support, so WASAPI wouldn't be a good default choice for those devices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A few months ago I did some testing while I was making a tutorial on setting up for on Board audio. I used 4 different computers and a bunch of  ASIO interfaces as well as the on board audio. 

I have always advised against on board audio and spouted the same old " Get an Audio interface or you will die " mantra over and over. 

But I was actually converted after running the tests using loopback testing and trying different buffers etc. 

Bottom line is you absolutely need an audio interface if you are actually a real musician and plan on recording audio. Your tracks will not be in sync otherwise unless you take the time to adjust the manual offset. As well as there's no professional audio connectivity to a computer. 

But if you are just a DJ, Producer etc.  and you don't need to record audio there's nothing wrong with a properly set up on board audio system. 

I work for hours on full projects that have a lot of plug ins and tracks using my on board audio in WASAPI shared mode. My Scarlett interface is sitting right there but there's no real reason to turn it on. It doesn't change anything about the work I'm doing. If I actually wanted to record anything I will turn it on then. I can record midi keyboards as well with WASAPI, no latency at all. Just do the usual by pass all effects. 

And please leave asio4all back in the W7 world. It serves absolutely no purpose now we have Windows 10 and  WASAPI modes for on board audio. It was so sketchy I couldn't even run tests with it. And then it causes issues with my ASIO drivers.  The Real Tech ASIO driver as noted above,  is real junk and it failed all loopback testing( when I could get it to work) 

So you only need to know these 2 things

For recording = A proper audio interface with ASIO drivers. 

For editing and midi = On Board audio using either of the WASAPI modes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...