Tempo finder?

jono grant

Hmmm. In Sound Forge, you select one bar and go to edit tempo and say how many beats are selected, it does the math. I thought there must be something in Cakewalk that can do it as efficiently. Perhaps audio snap or something.

There really should be a simple plugin for that. I have on for iphone that creates a tempo map etc.

36 minutes ago, jono grant said:

Hmmm. In Sound Forge, you select one bar and go to edit tempo and say how many beats are selected, it does the math. I thought there must be something in Cakewalk that can do it as efficiently. Perhaps audio snap or something.

I recon doing the same in the Loop Construction view in Cake.

There are several ways to extract tempo:

1.  Drag the clip to the time line - this uses Melodyne (even if you've got an expired trial version) to extract a tempo map
2.  Use the audio snap palette to identify the transients of your clip and extract a tempo map from there
3.  Use the "Set Measure/Beat at Now" at various points in your project to tell it where the measures/beats start. The tempo will be modified to match where you tell it measures/beats start.
4.  Use the "Fit to Improvisation" command - For this you need first record a MIDI track, where you "tap" notes to the tempo (i.e. tap along to the audio clip). Select the newly recorded MIDI clip , then select "Fit to Improvisation" from the menu to extract a tempo map from what you've played. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What's so hard about dragging to the timeline? takes 2 seconds for a short clip. I see it's top of Marks list too. I usually do this with live recordings to see what the closest tempos was in general. But it does depend on which track I use to do this, that's why I said it depends on what the audio clip is from. Obviously sustained sounds won't work.