Yamaha MX49

57Gregy

• 1 year later...
On 4/15/2021 at 6:09 PM, don belisle said:

Thanks Greg, I have the MX61 and the MX88. I`ve been wanting to use this for a while. 

It`s appreciated! 

There were a couple of glitches in the rendering. One patch name, a bass guitar patch, I think, appeared in several of the banks. The correct patch played, just the name was wrong. I corrected that using the published voice and bank list from Yamaha.

• 8 months later...
On 4/12/2021 at 7:27 PM, 57Gregy said:

Here's the first one for this new forum.

MX.ins 24.19 kB · 10 downloads

Hey 57Gregy, forgive my ignorance, I have an mx49, what do these files do exactly? I've used mine to lay down midi and record directly from the synth itself inside cakewalk.  Is there something I've been missing or doing wrong all this time?

32 minutes ago, Helios.G said:

Hey 57Gregy, forgive my ignorance, I have an mx49, what do these files do exactly? I've used mine to lay down midi and record directly from the synth itself inside cakewalk.  Is there something I've been missing or doing wrong all this time?

The ins. files will allow you to choose banks and patches of the instrument from within Cakewalk's MIDI pane. You won't have to select a thing on the keyboard (once it is set up right).

mx49lists.jpg

Edited by 57Gregy
oops
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

The ins. files will allow you to choose banks and patches of the instrument from within Cakewalk's MIDI pane. You won't have to select a thing on the keyboard (once it is set up right).

mx49lists.jpg

Oh, this is quite awesome! So how does one install this? I'm honestly floored I'd never heard of this, lol. Thanks for clearing some of this up for me btw

On 11/24/2023 at 12:52 PM, 57Gregy said:

Once that is done, you need to associate each MIDI channel in Instruments with the MX definition by clicking on the channel on the left, then MX on the right.

Don't forget you can select all channels on the left (Shift-Click) or multiple channels (Ctrl-Click) to speed things up 😁

Screenshot.png.4d31dc843d0318825d8ecc08dac971bf.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2023 at 12:45 PM, 57Gregy said:

Download the instrument definition. Note where you downloaded it to.
Open Cakewalk by Bandlab, click 'P' for Preferences.
Go to MIDI>Instruments.

MIDIinsselection.jpg

Hey 57Gregy, Sorry to bother you about this again but since you showed me how to do this, I sort of left it on the back burner.  Today I was setting up a new production template ready to put your tips to good use when I realized I didn't know how to split the channels up so that each midi instance doesn't trigger the other.  Would you mind walking me through how to separate channels so they trigger only the chosen instrument in the mx49? I tried using different channels in the drop down menu in cakewalks midi tracks, but all previous midi tracks would still play when I'd strike the keys. I'd really appreciate any direction here. Thanks!

29 minutes ago, Helios.G said:

Hey 57Gregy, Sorry to bother you about this again but since you showed me how to do this, I sort of left it on the back burner.  Today I was setting up a new production template ready to put your tips to good use when I realized I didn't know how to split the channels up so that each midi instance doesn't trigger the other.  Would you mind walking me through how to separate channels so they trigger only the chosen instrument in the mx49? I tried using different channels in the drop down menu in cakewalks midi tracks, but all previous midi tracks would still play when I'd strike the keys. I'd really appreciate any direction here. Thanks!

So, when you press a key on the MX 49, all of the tracks play with their chosen patches? Or the same patch as the track you're playing?
I don't know how that happens except if all the tracks are using the same instrument and channel. I always use different channels for each track. I don't recall going up to or past 16 MIDI tracks at a time through the MX, but it seems like using different banks would keep them from playing the same patch even if they were on the same channel. I would have to test that.
Also, make sure to turn off the inputs of all the tracks you're not playing through/recording on, especially if you use Omni mode.

7 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

So, when you press a key on the MX 49, all of the tracks play with their chosen patches? Or the same patch as the track you're playing?
I don't know how that happens except if all the tracks are using the same instrument and channel. I always use different channels for each track. I don't recall going up to or past 16 MIDI tracks at a time through the MX, but it seems like using different banks would keep them from playing the same patch even if they were on the same channel. I would have to test that.
Also, make sure to turn off the inputs of all the tracks you're not playing through/recording on, especially if you use Omni mode.

So if I understand you correctly setting each instance to midi omni would have them play their respective parts without triggering the same notes on each channel? I had it like that, so now I'm even more confused. I also tried to give each midi track it's own channel and that would result in silence in all but the 1st midi track.  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I appreciate it.

4 minutes ago, Helios.G said:

So if I understand you correctly setting each instance to midi omni would have them play their respective parts without triggering the same notes on each channel? I had it like that, so now I'm even more confused. I also tried to give each midi track it's own channel and that would result in silence in all but the 1st midi track.  Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, I appreciate it.

No, set all inputs to None. Try that. Except the track you're recording or playing through.

Edited by 57Gregy
More info.
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

No, set all inputs to None. Try that.

That worked! You're a lifesaver Gregy!  One last question.  I'm making my template so I can get to creating much faster, for each section I have a folder with a midi track and an audio track for bouncing down ideas later.  So far I've only set up the bass folder, and ran into the routing issue with my second folder, drums, when I reached out to you. My question is, setting up bass with it's one instance is relatively easy. Is there a way that I can split the drum kits parts to different outputs, so like Kick, snare, toms, etc? From one midi instance?

9 minutes ago, Helios.G said:

That worked! You're a lifesaver Gregy!  One last question.  I'm making my template so I can get to creating much faster, for each section I have a folder with a midi track and an audio track for bouncing down ideas later.  So far I've only set up the bass folder, and ran into the routing issue with my second folder, drums, when I reached out to you. My question is, setting up bass with it's one instance is relatively easy. Is there a way that I can split the drum kits parts to different outputs, so like Kick, snare, toms, etc? From one midi instance?

I don't think so from 1 MIDI track.
Many drum soft synths have multiple audio outputs, but I don't think you can do that here. Try asking on the main Cakewalk forum or Instruments and Effects forum.
I usually have each drum on a different MIDI track.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Many drum soft synths have multiple audio outputs, but I don't think you can do that here. Try asking on the main Cakewalk forum or Instruments and Effects forum.

Yeah, I figured as much, no problem, I'll just have to get creative with my routing then.  No worries though, you saved me from a major headache today! Thank you

4 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

Hey Gregy, just an FYI, I figured out what was going on on my end here. You have to put the keyboard in DAWRec mode in it's settings for it to track out properly in cakewalk. You lose Arpeggio functionality, but it lets you hear only the track selected when highlighting different tracks as intended.  

• Like 1