"Insignificant"

bats brew

https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/insignificant

from the new Bats Brew album "Elemental", available here:
batsbrew.bandcamp.com

"Insignificant" is actually the name of a class V rapid on the Gauley river in west Virginia, where my lady and I did a whitewater rafting trip many years back… we had an incident in the raft which caused it to collapse in the middle of a very tricky spot, the raft folded, and we lost my lady and the guide. I was able to pull the guide back in, but my lady got pulled down deep in a hydraulic, and spit out 20 yards down river… we chased after her in the raft, and this song is the interpretation of that moment in time. Scary, and exhilarating. my lady is fine. :)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Well if you will go doing mad a stupid things like throwing yourself and your good lady down a raging rapid.

Nice though I did enjoy the tune has your classic touch.

life is for the brave, wookiee! 

heheh.

hey, thanks for listening

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

You've managed to capture a whitewater experience very convincingly!  I have a few whitewater  stories of my own, but never thought to put them to music.  Don't forget to wear a lifejacket when you listen to this song ;)

HI LYNN! for me, it was a great and terrible experience.

and we are experienced white water folk, but the people that we were with, were not.

and they were the cause.

either way, we dealt with it, and my lady did not even lose her paddle, and swam a class 5 rapid in repose. LOL

• Like 1

On 4/17/2021 at 7:18 AM, jack c. said:

great recording job/song.jack c.what drums and processing do ya use?

hey jack!

thanks so much for checking this one out.....

drums are superior drummer 3, drum kit is from the Hansa collection, a custom kit in a marble room.

processing for drums is done within superior drummer,

typically, an eq on each channel, a compressor here and there, some overhead processing (comp, eq) and the sub bus processing via more compression and eq, sometimes i use a tape player plugin, for some saturation, all this comes into the session as a stereo input, and that is put thru a waves SSL G series mastering compressor for final level control, and usually a pultec emulation for boosting 100 hz and maybe some at 8k.

Edited by batsbrew

On 4/20/2021 at 8:33 PM, Ruralrocker2010 said:

Dope guitar tone. I love the feel of the instrumentation. Obviously you're re-living the moment and that can most obviously be felt in the drums but yea the classic rock feel to this is also inviting.

What a crazy story.

hey ruraL! thanks for the kudos on the guitar tones, again, this was the BIG experiment using nothing but the Strymon Iridium for all the guitar tones.

everything was direct, and i'm good to go with it now!

the drums are definitely the PUSH for the vibe of what's happening...

it was almost a military approach to the whole thing! they take it pretty seriously there at the gauley, because people die there all the time.

the 'incident' on "Insignificant", a class 5 rapid, never would have happened, if the 2 couples that was with us (there were four other people, all of who lied about having experience in the tougher white water rivers) had not given up paddling through this tough section..

the guide explained it very clearly to us, before the approach, that we had to 'pull' as hard as we could through this one scary hyrdraulic, and when we got there, the other couples froze... it was only my wife, me and the guide pulling, the raft literally collapsed, and one side dipped down into that hyrdraulic, and pulled wifey and guide right out!!

it was intense...

On 4/24/2021 at 7:51 AM, mark skinner said:

Fantastic guitar work and panning. My only suggestion would be to change the name of the rapid !      mark

hey mark! thanks for the kind words.... yea, that rapid, anything but insignificant!