Missing Audio

Dana Elston

I have opened and old song recorded in an old version of Cakewalk (a .bun file) which opened nicely. I am able to hear and see the wav files. I have now saved this .wrk file to my PC. When I attempt to save it as a bun file I get the message: "Please delete events containing missing audio before attempting to save as a bundle". This is the first time I have ever seen this message. I know what missing audio files look like in Cakewalk. I have searched each track and see nothing "missing". Is there a way to have Cakewalk search for these missing files? Just a thought...could the problem be in the Audio folder for the song? Appreciate any help on this.

Hello.  So the old song project opens in CWbBL and plays correctly? 

Just guessing here.......Is it possible that  the "events containing missing audio" referenced by the error message are very small clips (without audio data) that are not easily visible at the macro level buried alongside or under existing clips that contain audio data?

In the process of recording and editing audio, I sometimes inadvertently end up with very small clips that contain only silent audio that are easy to overlook.   

On 4/12/2021 at 11:47 AM, JamPro said:

Hello.  So the old song project opens in CWbBL and plays correctly? 

Just guessing here.......Is it possible that  the "events containing missing audio" referenced by the error message are very small clips (without audio data) that are not easily visible at the macro level buried alongside or under existing clips that contain audio data?

In the process of recording and editing audio, I sometimes inadvertently end up with very small clips that contain only silent audio that are easy to overlook.   

Possibly...but there is no explanation plus the file won't open to let me what the issue is.

On 4/13/2021 at 2:26 AM, Kalle Rantaaho said:

However, it's very recommendable that you save the project as cwp instead on bun or cwb-file. Bundle files are vulnerable. When it gets corrupt, it's gone. Bundles are not recommended for long time storage, but only for sending files back and forth when co-operating. 

Correct. This was from a time when bun files were perfectly acceptable to save by themselves (many many moons ago). Then we went thru that time when Cakewalk messed up and even bun files were not saving correctly and it inserted other wave files in their place which was devastating. Then they finally got their act together and now the cwp and bun files together are the answer. Unfortunately this isn't answering my question.  Thanks for responding to my dilemma though.

I'm not sure what you did because you claim to have opened a Bun file and then saved it as a Wrk??? file.  Wrk files are like from 30 years ago.

CWP ( normal) files. have been the standard for a long time now.  I have stuff that is 15 + years old and has been all over the place as a CWP and it always opens. 

Bun files are OK but not what you use for day to day saving of your projects. 

Edited by John Vere

• 1 month later...