I Cant Find The Words

garybrun

I have revisited this track as I found a few problems with it.

My son is on piano and my daughter is vocals.
This was sung live at a wedding.. so it is a live recording and has a few mistakes... but thats what I like about live.
In my original mix there was some "hum" when Emelie was singing which I really have not heard until now as I have changed monitors and headphones.
(the older you get the more expensive your toys)  There is still a little their on Emelie's voice.

Have I over compensated in the middle frequencies and added to much harshness??

Thanks in advance people.

Gary

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ruralrocker2010 said:

Wow, she's got a great instrument. I've found that when I get a vocal that sounds like that it's because I've overcompressed it and then tried to EQ clarity back into it. 

Yeah man...beautiful! I bet there were no dry eyes.

@Ruralrocker2010Thank so much for taking time to listen.
Here is my first mix...  you can hear rumble on the vocal?
Or is this one better than the one above?

Edited by garybrun

44 minutes ago, Lynn Wilson said:

I think you fixed your problems, Gary, as this is lovely and emotional at the same time.  Kudos to your son and daughter!  You have proven that you can handle live recordings!

@Lynn Wilson thanks for taking the time to listen.
I personally am having problems with 'esses. 
Maybe its just me hearing it too much.

Thanks Gary . . . amazing powerful song, and it seems talent runs deep in your family ! I did listen to both of your mixes on headphones, and must say I lean towards the first version, as the vocal on the second mix has way more presence and sibilance, sounding less natural and more electronic. It gives the impression of being closer to the performance, but maybe dialed back a touch would be a better place. (Knowing we all paint different pictures, this just my personal preference) No matter how I spin it, I really enjoyed listening to both versions. Your studio pic on Soundcloud looks very efficient and comfy . . . now I need to go buy some candles !

Edited by noynekker

@noynekker thanks for taking the time to listen and your kind comments.
Really appreciated.

Your thoughts on the first mix (second one on the post here) are the same as mine after review.
Can you hear the rumble in it when Emelie's mic kicks in...  50-60htz I think.

YES  I love my studio.. its a dream come true.

Sometimes you have to move past the technical issues and when you have  singer with a voice like this you can.

As I have a busy day I am listening on my Event 20/20's, which are not very forgiving on a mix and I am not hearing any issues with this just a wonderfully heartfelt vocal.

A round of applause for your son on piano and your daughters very cool vocal oh and the mix engineer didn't do a bad job either ;)  :) 

• Thanks 1

Gary , I love this song and have had it on replay on soundcloud since you first posted it. Both versions are Great but I think I'm with noynekker about finding a spot somewhere in the middle. I did find myself reaching for the volume knob to bring the level up when I got to the older version. I've never heard the song on a decent system and never noticed the rumble but I think it needed more of the clarity like you've gotten on the new version .  Thanks ..  mark

This is a beautiful song with wonderful performances by both son and daughter.  For a live performance your recording and mixes are great.  I'm a fan of live recordings -- not only because I don't understand all those pieces of equipment in the studio but there just seems to be a bit of humanity that comes through in a live performance.  Listening to the work of Tom Dowd (RIP) confirms that.  As I stated before both versions are great but the 1st version that you posted (second one in this posting) seems to have a warmth that really appealed to me.

@mark skinner  Thanks for taking the time to listen and your opinions are appreciated.

@freddy j Thanks also Freddy.  I agree about the warmth.
Yesterday I went for a hearing test as I have never had one before.
Working in entertainment for many years with loud music... I thought it was about time.
I found that I have lost some ability in the 4k range..  but need to study how this stuff works a little more.

hearing_image.thumb.jpg.2ab33f5586799cab79f74a4b462d0cdc.jpg
I use Sonarworks software to give me a flat room and also slate vsx for my headphones.
(H=Left and V=Right)
Now Im thinking...  if I take this curve in the graphic and offset it against those two softwares...  maybe I can improve my mixes.
Just a thought.