AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX 64-Core 2.7 GHz Socket sWRX8 280W 100-100000087WOF

cclarry

55 minutes ago, Grem said:

But to take full advantage of this CPU, you will have to get the ram to support it.

And to fill/max the RAM on the board you would need 256gb sticks x 8 would equal the 2048gb. But I could not find 256gb sticks.

Biggest I could find (at Newegg) was 128gb sticks at 2600. Not fast enough to take full advantage of the Ryzen chip.

Best I could find, (at newegg again) was 32gb sticks which would give you 256gb total, for around $1500!!

And if you can find 256gb 3200 ram sticks, the cost would be almost as much as the proc!???

But it would be 8 channel memory!!!

Hence my "$25,000" statement!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grem said:

You have a 32 core? What DAW do you run? How does it display all the threads?

Ableton, but it doesn’t take full advantage of all those cores. The benefit is when I’m running, other apps simultaneously. 

• Like 1

I actually have one of these Threadrippers (a Thinkstation P620 with 256gb) that work sent me.  It's a great compiler/rendering box.  But it's also the loudest computer I've had in a long time.  Lenovo really should have gone with water cooling instead of the infinite number of fans.  Even idle it sounds like a jet engine or a leaf blower.  It came with Windows Enterprise because of the number of threads/cores.  I haven't/can't instaled music software on it, but I'm not sure I'd want to.  There are much better, cheaper choices that for music production would be faster/better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I actually have one of these Threadrippers (a Thinkstation P620 with 256gb) that work sent me.  It's a great compiler/rendering box.  But it's also the loudest computer I've had in a long time.  Lenovo really should have gone with water cooling instead of the infinite number of fans.  Even idle it sounds like a jet engine or a leaf blower.  It came with Windows Enterprise because of the number of threads/cores.  I haven't/can't instaled music software on it, but I'm not sure I'd want to.  There are much better, cheaper choices that for music production would be faster/better.

Mine is water-cooled. The fan noise is only loud when you first boot. It's a great multipurpose machine. Basically runs everything I want, including Ableton,...even at the same time LOL

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spice3d said:

Mine is water-cooled. The fan noise is only loud when you first boot. It's a great multipurpose machine. Basically runs everything I want, including Ableton,...even at the same time LOL

Perfect for those times when you want to do some mixing, render Toy Story 5 and play Grand Theft Auto 5 at the same time. 

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 1

With 280w TDP, there's no such thing as a truly quiet build (as in near dead silent).

Then, you have active-cooled motherboard chipsets...  🤪

Even the Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition (one of the quietest closed-loop coolers available) is appreciably louder than something like a Noctua D15.

Of course, if you try to use a D15 with Threadripper, it'll thermal-throttle (defeating the whole purpose).