AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3995WX 64-Core 2.7 GHz Socket sWRX8 280W 100-100000087WOF

cclarry

15 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

And would you believe a $400 CPU bests it at ultra low latency performance?!?!   😉

I would not doubt it.

AMD is starting to close that performance gap that's for sure. I am not certain any of us would use all 128 threads of a CPU like that in our every day to day audio work at home. Not even sure a studio would get much use out of it. IDK if a gamer would even use all that CPU power!! 

Edited by Grem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Roseberry said:

And would you believe a $400 CPU bests it at ultra low latency performance?!?!   😉

People missed that 280 watts.  It should come with its own mini nuclear reactor.   In the summer my choice would have to be using that or running the AC.

Edited by Paul Young
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I would not doubt it.

AMD is starting to close that performance gap that's for sure. I am not certain any of us would use all 128 threads of a CPU like that in our every day to day audio work at home. Not even sure a studio would get much use out of it. IDK if a gamer would even use all that CPU power!! 

Maybe for a video rendering farm.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InstrEd said:

But heck talk about bragging rights for a mixing machine

I think you would have to load it up with a ton of ram!!  And a fairly large M.2 that's PCIe 4. It would have to be the right motherboard too.

But you could most likely get by with this CPU https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-threadripper-pro-3975wx/p/N82E16819113677?Item=N82E16819113677

for half the money and still use all the ram and M.2 drive! 

These are ALL a lot of overkill...and require a special motherboard that's expensive (cheapest is about $400)
You can do all you need and then some with a Ryzen 5 or 7 Processor, Motherboard, and Ram if you are looking
to upgrade.

I currently have an AMD Socket AM4 B550 Motherboard, Ryzen 7 3700X Processor, and 16 Gb of DDR4 3200
for less than $525, in my cart at Newegg....that's a good deal for an upgraded system from my FX-8300

EDIT:  and my FX-8300 is STILL holding it's own, even after 5 years!

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1

But Larry... if we dreaming, lets dream big!!!

Found a motherboard for that bad boy!! (not in stock at New Egg)

Has 8 channel Ram, can hold 2048gb Ram (yes that's 2tb) (each stick would need to be 256gb!! How much would that much ram cost!!?)

Has 3 M.2 PCIe 4 (two run off the CPU and one run off add-on chip)

What a mixing machine that would be!!!

@InstrEd

Yep you would have some bragging rights for sure!!

Edited by Grem

1 hour ago, Grem said:

But Larry... if we dreaming, lets dream big!!!

Found a motherboard for that bad boy!! (not in stock at New Egg)

Has 8 channel Ram, can hold 2048gb Ram (yes that's 2tb) (each stick would need to be 256gb!! How much would that much ram cost!!?)

Has 3 M.2 PCIe 4 (two run off the CPU and one run off add-on chip)

What a mixing machine that would be!!!

@InstrEd

Yep you would have some bragging rights for sure!!

True that, but $500 vs $25,000 is a pretty easy choice for us poor folks...LOL

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grem said:

I doubt that games would really take advantage of multi-core CPUs that much; 3D graphics and video rendering definitely would though.

... come to think about it, that CPU just might be the answer to finally being able to put an instance of IK's excellent-sounding tape machines on each track and bus 😜

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, antler said:

that CPU just might be the answer to finally being able to put an instance of IK's excellent-sounding tape machines on each track and bus 😜

But to take full advantage of this CPU, you will have to get the ram to support it.

And to fill/max the RAM on the board you would need 256gb sticks x 8 would equal the 2048gb. But I could not find 256gb sticks.

Biggest I could find (at Newegg) was 128gb sticks at 2600. Not fast enough to take full advantage of the Ryzen chip.

Best I could find, (at newegg again) was 32gb sticks which would give you 256gb total, for around $1500!!

And if you can find 256gb 3200 ram sticks, the cost would be almost as much as the proc!???

But it would be 8 channel memory!!!

• Like 1

I did find some 3200 RAM in 256gb modules (sticks).

$2500 each!!!

$20k for the ram to fill out the $1k motherboard that houses a $5k cpu!!!

Just to run plugins?

M.2 1tb PCIe 4 = $200 x 2 = $400 (to run raid array)

Video card $500 (for one in stock!!)

Case $70

After all said and done, around $10k.