Request for Voting option on Feedback threads

tecknot

• 1 month later...

Not that I ever noticed the stars before, I'm not sure how they work.  Would anyone see the stars without viewing the thread?  When I wrote the OP I was thinking more of the way the Q&A thread works where a vote sends the thread to the top section of the subject list.  That way it is much more visible (to the Bakers in particular) and you can see its popularity by the number of votes.

Kind regards,

tecknot

Edited by tecknot
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/11/2019 at 1:37 AM, tecknot said:

Not that I ever noticed the stars before, I'm not sure how they work.  Would anyone see the stars without viewing the thread?  When I wrote the OP I was thinking more of the way the Q&A thread works where a vote sends the thread to the top section of the subject list.  That way it is much more visible (to the Bakers in particular) and you can see it's popularity by the number of votes.

Kind regards,

tecknot

I had not thought of the question with reactions as you stated until you brought it up.  Thanks for the follow up response!  Your suggestion makes great sense in that respect.

I am not sure if the stars are only personally viewable or aggregated... but regardless of this, there is no way to sort this forum by any topic rating, which is what is required to be useful to end users. Even using the "custom view" there is no entry for "topic rating" or similar. I just went back to check the old forum's Feature Request subforum, and the ability to sort by rating has also been removed. Many people have contributed a lot of very thought-out requests over the past several years, but even with prompting users for input, many of these have been purposefully buried over time. Although it is great to prompt users for input; if there is no follow through, it simply wastes people's time and effort.

• Thanks 1

The system in place likely is not the best solution anyone can think up but it is the system presently in place.

The forum software allows posts to be voted higher or lower.  The software also allows threads to receive star ratings.   The dual approach CAN be very powerful indicator of wants or irritants with a little forethought.

For example, lets say a user posts a suggestion that BandLab Technologies embrace using the animated assistant, Clipit, to help new users.  Clipit information link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_Assistant

It's likely the idea would be polarizing because Clipit was polarizing.  There also might be a lot of discussion because many people would have ideas and points-of-view to share.  Stars could indicate how good the concept is while voting individual posts up and down would separate the ideas from the chafe.