Recorded audio playback out of sync

Eric Brad

Hi All - 

I'm sure this is a "duh!" kind of problem but here it is:  I'm recording bass and guitar parts using ASIO but on playback, the parts are playing back several ticks early.  It's an overall timing problem.  I can nudge the entire clip to line up on the beat and things work fine from there.

Did I mess up some setting or other?  Why don't these parts line up after recording?  I don't remember ever having to nudge clips before.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks
Eric

I have the opposite problem: unless I click "internal sync" for each time I press playback or record, then I see the waveform edge, and the audio playing back about a beat too late. On all tracks. Midi or audio. I've reported it twice on here, but so far, no fix.

In my signature is a link to my tutorials Watch the one on ASIO. You might want to do the loop back test I explain in the video. This will troubleshoot if the driver is not reporting the RTL correctly 

But 2 things 

make sure you have bypassed effects. Some effects are known to increase latency that ASIO driver does not calculate 

Check in sync and cashing and make sure your audio interface is the device for timing. 

Edited by John Vere

Thanks for the input John!

I did, in fact, have some ReaRoute ASIO drivers installed (but not enabled) in Cakewalk.  Not sure how they got on the system but no matter.  I removed the drivers and reset the timing master to my Steinberg UR44 and things have improved SIGNIFICANTLY.  I'm still getting a few millisecond shift backward after recording (barely noticeable).  I'm going to run some loopback tests as suggested in your video.  

Thanks for this and for the very helpful videos!
Eric