Deactivate MIDI Record

Erden Mensch

Welcome to the forum.
This often happens when using the computer's sound chip that uses "What You Hear" or "Stereo Mix" as its input. That will record everything you hear. Choosing a different input should stop this from happening.
So, your drum computer is being input as MIDI, but you must have a way to make and hear the drum sounds. Most often, that is with a software synthesizer in Cakewalk. The MIDI is played/recorded on a track and that MIDI data is sent to the synth so the sound can be heard. The synth converts the data to audio and is played as audio through the program, sent to the What You Hear or Stereo Mix input and recorded on the new guitar track.
Or, your drum computer's audio outputs are connected to the sound chip's audio inputs and played through an audio track in Cakewalk, and the same routing causes the drums to be recorded on the guitar track.
Are you using the computer's sound chip are an external audio interface?

Need more details of the devices you are using and how you have them connected. Can’t even begin to make a guess. 
All I know for sure is you are playing a guitar and a drum machine is also playing.  

Edited by John Vere

uh my english comes to its limits :D

thx first for the quick answer. I have an Edirol USB Soundcard, use The Drum Computer from my Korg RAdias, The Input is put in Digital. Someone else you need to know. I read the first comment, but i must read it again a little bit slower.

Maybe this screen helps you a little bit?

audio.jpg

Edited by Erden Mensch

Thanks Steve, good eyes. I was having trouble with the different markings due to the Language.  

That's a weird interface you defiantly would need a manual to figure it out. Sorry I don't have time to go that far today. 

But at least I see it has an ASIO driver and for W10 so that's good. So make sure you are using ASIO mode and that all your inputs are checked.  

I can at least now see that you do have Midi in /out on both devices.  and also assume those are connected to the Edrol

And I see the Edrol has a optical input but I see the Korg does not have digital outputs.  You must be meaning it is hooked up with Midi.  

Then it looks like the Edrol has both RCA inputs and a Guitar and Mikes Input but they are calling it a 2 channel interface. This might be what is happening. You have connected the Korg to the RCA jacks and they share the input with the guitar.  So you are playing the midi track to trigger the Korg and that comes back with the RCA cables so you can hear it but it will also get recorded. 

You need a 4 channel interface or a small mixer. 

• Like 1

It’s not recording midi if what I assumed about your connections is true it's recording the audio from the Korg which was created from the playback of your midi track #4.   You didn’t answer or explain anything at this point still,  so I still have to guess.
The audio from your Korg is being mixed with your Guitar input. This is the design of the interface as those inputs are shared.  

You either need another audio interface that has 4 individual inputs or a small mixer that you set up just for monitoring. 

You don't need to buy anything if you change  how you are doing this-- ( workflow) 

Insert the VST instrument SI drums and use that as the drum sounds. Set the output of the midi track to the SI drums. Not the UA-4FX.

It would be best to  disable midi out put of the UA-4FX. This might even be what your question was about. If you uncheck all midi outputs this will " deactivate midi " going to the Korg. 

If you ever want the sounds from the Korg then you would just check the box again and record the audio. 

I don't have a interface hooked up to this computer. The midi output will probably say UA_4FX. 

Screenshot (81)_LI.jpg

Edited by John Vere

On 4/11/2021 at 8:55 AM, Erden Mensch said:

So I have a Question. I have my Drum Computer that run over MIDI in the background. While recording my Guitar on an Audioline, it also records the Drum Computer on this Audioline...How can i prevent this?

(1) Are you recording a real guitar or a software synth?

(2a) Can you record only the audio track (Spur 5) and not the midi track (Spur 4)? 

(2b) Can you delete the midi data on the midi track and keep the audio on the audio track?

21 minutes ago, User 905133 said:

(1) Are you recording a real guitar or a software synth?   - I know the English is not great but it clearly says he is recording his guitar on a Audioline which I translated to he is using an audio cable into the UA-4FX guitar input jack. 

(2a) Can you record only the audio track (Spur 5) and not the midi track (Spur 4)?  This will confuse them as it even confuses me :) Remember this person seems to have limited translation skills. 

(2b) Can you delete the midi data on the midi track and keep the audio on the audio track? - He is using the midi data to drive the drum sounds of the Korg Keyboard. The problem ( as I see it) is this is mixed in with the guitar signal as the UA-4FX has only 2 channels of USB but has multiple input options which share those 2 channels. 

@scook   I'm looking again at the screenshot and I'm seeing on the midi track #4 output  35MDSP4   which Google does not bring me any results. Your good at this. What output device could that be?  I was expecting the output to be to the UA-4FX midi port. Might this be a device like a midi sport? To make it even more confusing the midi #3  track about shows 15MDSP4  

Screenshot (82).png

32 minutes ago, John Vere said:

I'm looking again at the screenshot and I'm seeing on the midi track #4 output  35MDSP4   which Google does not bring me any results. Your good at this. What output device could that be?

Decrypting output drop down labels is a little different than reading a product name directly from an image.

The language barrier makes this thread a little challenging.

If the OP was successful 10 years ago with the same gear, the signal routing is no different today than it was then.

Given the interface has two channels, it should be possible to  record guitar and monitor a hardware synth at the same time. 

Assuming this the problem reported in the OP, the answer may be as simple as setting the recording track to the guitar channel instead of using both channels to record.

I have never seen the interface. It may be the effects blend the two channels. If this is the case, it will be necessary to record without using the effects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

(1) Are you recording a real guitar or a software synth?

(2a) Can you record only the audio track (Spur 5) and not the midi track (Spur 4)? 

(2b) Can you delete the midi data on the midi track and keep the audio on the audio track?

3 hours ago, John Vere said:

(1) . . . I know the English is not great but it clearly says he is recording his guitar on a Audioline which I translated to he is using an audio cable into the UA-4FX guitar input jack. 

(2a) . . .  This will confuse them as it even confuses me :) Remember this person seems to have limited translation skills. 

(2b) He is using the midi data to drive the drum sounds of the Korg Keyboard. The problem ( as I see it) is this is mixed in with the guitar signal as the UA-4FX has only 2 channels of USB but has multiple input options which share those 2 channels. 

OK. It makes sense that Spur 4 (this: image.png.b55ad7fd3034a0415933c937637a0e3b.png) is going to the Korg Radius via  the midi output port listed. It also makes sense that the audio output of the guitar and the audio output of the Korg Radius are being recorded together.  Thanks.

• Like 1