Template Mixing and Mastering Book by Billy Decker

Is anyone developing/using a mixing/mastering template based on Billy Decker's book? If so, I'd be interested in collaborating with you on building and using the template. I'm working my way through this short but seemingly action packed book in the hope of finally being able to finish a mix after 20 years.

The book is amazingly filled with insights into the Deckerator mixing approach and precise plugin settings which I value, though I haven't tried to put them in practice yet and I expect the plugin settings will need to be validated/tweaked for each mix. However it's also amazingly sparse on other details like whether sends are pre or post fader. I'm going with prefader for now but suspect I'll end up with a mix of pre and post.

My goal is to develop a template using a combo of Cakewalk included and free plugins that my daughter can use to mix her own music. At this point I don't think I have enough time left to ever complete any of the in-progress mixes of her songs that I'm working on.

If you're not familiar with the book or the Deckerator mixing approach. He talked about it in detail in this interview.

Edited by Bill Phillips
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting interview to be sure! I think that many Mixers are known for the samples they bring to their drum tracks; seems to be a "signature" thing. Kind of validates Superior Drummer 3 (or insert your drum VSTi of choice "here").

Six months ago I would have been "all in" on your project, but as vaccinations sweep the country, hopefully the wife and I will be able go back out on the road; so its a  commitment I just can't in "good faith" make.
(I literally haven't been in the studio in over a month, I have a new UFX+, still sealed in the box, waiting to be put in the rack)

Good luck on the project. PM a cwp, and if I can squeeze some time, I'll have a look and offer suggestions...

t

@DeeringAmps I'm not proposing collaboration on a song project. I'm proposing collaboration on implementing a Cakewalk version of the Decerator template using a combination of standard Cakewalk and free plugins. I've just about got a rough draft of the template and pile of plugins to evaluate. I'm getting ready to load tracks and begin auditioning plugins.

I was wondering if there are others doing the same thing that might want to trade notes and share ideas & findings. 

@Bill PhillipsExactly. The template is a cwp file. I don’t use the cwt extension. All my templates are saved as “read only”, then when I save I’m prompted to “save as”. 
I don’t have anything near as comprehensive as Decker, but his work flow makes perfect sense. 
I have a basic 8 buss template I work from. 
As I said above, six months ago I could have thrown some energy into this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

@Bill PhillipsExactly. The template is a cwp file. I don’t use the cwt extension. All my templates are saved as “read only”, then when I save I’m prompted to “save as”. 
I don’t have anything near as comprehensive as Decker, but his work flow makes perfect sense. 
I have a basic 8 buss template I work from. 
As I said above, six months ago I could have thrown some energy into this. 

Thanks.

• Like 1