LIASONS IN THE DARK PT1 REMIX

Supa Reels

Love the song, the structure of the parts, the lyrics too! Your vocal has a very genuine quality to it.

For me, the drums are letting the side down a bit. They are mixed well back yet they are quite busy.  That's an odd combo that might be addressed. But here's what jumped out at me right away, listening to the first section around :30, you have your vocal, and a lot of other elements - buzzy power chord guitar, an arpeggiated guitar, a synth pad doing some little melodic noodles occasionally, and the drums buried far back, along with the bass. That's an awful lot of stuff right away all in competition, and kudos for making your vocal stick out amongst all of that!!!

You might drop the big fuzzy distorted power chord guitar out of things completely? Just as a trial? That's a wall of distant fuzz that if removed could let the drums back in, and things might breathe a bit. Believe me I know it's hard to say goodbye to a beloved part, but my vote would be "less is more" in this case.

This song comes across as a cool concept, especially with the nifty female vocal coming in - and the lyrics are really quite good, sung with feeling. Nice!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

18 hours ago, jack c. said:

too many snare fills.bring up bass guitar and girl voice.tighten bass and drums a tad.good recording.jack c.

Thanks for listening and I think it's back to the old drawing board, you comment is much appreciated and I will work on it!

18 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Love the song, the structure of the parts, the lyrics too! Your vocal has a very genuine quality to it.

For me, the drums are letting the side down a bit. They are mixed well back yet they are quite busy.  That's an odd combo that might be addressed. But here's what jumped out at me right away, listening to the first section around :30, you have your vocal, and a lot of other elements - buzzy power chord guitar, an arpeggiated guitar, a synth pad doing some little melodic noodles occasionally, and the drums buried far back, along with the bass. That's an awful lot of stuff right away all in competition, and kudos for making your vocal stick out amongst all of that!!!

You might drop the big fuzzy distorted power chord guitar out of things completely? Just as a trial? That's a wall of distant fuzz that if removed could let the drums back in, and things might breathe a bit. Believe me I know it's hard to say goodbye to a beloved part, but my vote would be "less is more" in this case.

This song comes across as a cool concept, especially with the nifty female vocal coming in - and the lyrics are really quite good, sung with feeling. Nice!

cheers,

-Tom

As usual Tom you have picked out the hardest things to change LOL. As said I will re-work the song with you observations very much at the forefront. 

I tried a different method in the recording and mix, in that the main song was recorded and mixed separately from the vox ( recorded in a different session). It seemed to give a lot more CPU space when recording the vocal bits with FX,  and that bit worked but I think I got a bit cocky and in the first take and used 'air' far too much!

This 2nd attempt seemed better but I needed a little help with the song in general ...and now with your comprehensive comments I have it. I always enjoy your input here on this site and I thank you for taking so much time with this work 😉

Stay well

Steve

• Like 2

I think I'm listening to the updated one, but maybe not.

I guess what I hear is that there's a lot going on and my ear is not able to focus on what the main idea is. You have a chimey guitar that takes the lead and just as soon as I think I understand what it's doing (as a listener) and I'm engaging with it, fuzzy smear happens. And not in a complimentary way - just kind of there and the longer it went on the more I kept wondering, where is this going... and I ended up being distracted from what seemed like a promising open.

IDK, TIFWIW, I'd just strip back to the barest bones and then add one thing back in at a time until the confusion happens and then you'll hear what's not contributing - at least I've had some success with doing that. For me personally, and I know music is so personal, I've had to get ruthless about what the part is doing, specifically for the song. What I found for me is that I added parts because I was "covering" for something else. e.g., sound not big enough...etc.

Keep working - you've got great parts, but be ruthless in your revisions!

Steve, this is the first song I've heard from you that I can't make out the lyrics plainly.  The song itself is beautiful, and I would try turning up all vox before eliminating any of the background instruments.  Maybe a slightly wider soundstage would work in this mix.  I eagerly await your revision because this song is so close to being a gem.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Lynn Wilson said:

Steve, this is the first song I've heard from you that I can't make out the lyrics plainly.  The song itself is beautiful, and I would try turning up all vox before eliminating any of the background instruments.  Maybe a slightly wider soundstage would work in this mix.  I eagerly await your revision because this song is so close to being a gem.

Thanks Lynn and I always appreciate your input and time .. My thinking is to ditch this and start over .. truth is all these comments are, in fact, what I would have observed had it been someone else's work and as said it was a new way of recording with some new stuff ... we'll see 😏

Stay well mate (and I loved the collab you did  Freddie)

ALB

Steve

• Thanks 1