Bug applying gain to multiple clips

jono grant

Hi, I've noticed a bug in Cakewalk, where you select multiple clips, apply a gain effect, and get crazy distorted or missing clips after.

If you do them one at a time the problem doesn't occur.

The clips I've noticed often have clip fades on them.

Anyone else get this?

4 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The trick is to do a bounce to clip(s), or apply trimming on each clip before applying the gain.  This seems to make it much more reliable.

Most of the time though, I tend to use this method nowadays:

GainCutMultipleClips.gif

Thanks. I was referring to the CbB built-in gain.

2 hours ago, razor7music said:

Thanks. I was referring to the CbB built-in gain.

Yes, I know - if you're using the built-in Process->Apply Effect->Gain, make sure you "bounce to clip(s)"  or "apply trimming " on each clip first.

My video was an alternative that doesn't require you to do that.

• Thanks 1

I use "Process->Apply Effect->Gain"  often to fix things such as uneven vocal levels.  My usage has been within a single clip (luckily).  Based on the discussion so far, it seems like it still works on single clips. I have a short-cut key to apply the gain effect which makes the work flow easier.  Hope the Gain effect stays intact!

This better demonstrates why you might need to "Apply Trimming" before you do any operations on the Process->Apply Effect menu. I'm using Normalize as an example, but it also applies to Clip Gain, Remove DC Offset etc..

ProcessEffectApplyTrimming.gif

This might not always be desired though: If you're likely to slip edit the hidden areas back in, you're going to want to have had the hidden areas processed too. In which case Apply Trimming isn't what you want, as the hidden parts will be a completely different level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I see your short video and how many moves it takes to just get to the tools I think of how Wave lab keeps the dialogue box open until you close it   I guess you can do as @Tom B has done but it would be better if you could just pin the dialogue box like you do with VST’s GUI boxes 

@jono grant / @razor7music - if either of you have a small project (preferably with only stock CbB VST's) that can reproduce the multiclip gain issue, please zip it up and send it to @Jonathan Sasor.

We did think this issue had gone away due to fixes in related code (our existing repro's don't exhibit the issue anymore), but obviously not. So a solid repro would be a great help.

Mark,   

Thanks for the new video explaining how hidden parts of a clip can affect "Process->Apply Effect".   This was very insightful.

Think I've been lucky, and likely have been applying the Gain effect where there were no hidden areas  -or- I had bounced the clip already. 

• Like 1

I'll try to reproduce the issue and send a small bundle file.

I know that consolidating the clips or trimming would prevent this, but sometimes you want to keep the clips un-bounced for various reasons. Like you might not wish to commit something.

I only mentioned it as I don't remember it happening in the past.

I rarely use the process/apply effect methods much anymore as there are so many ways of doing things nowadays.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, msmcleod said:

@jono grant / @razor7music - if either of you have a small project (preferably with only stock CbB VST's) that can reproduce the multiclip gain issue, please zip it up and send it to @Jonathan Sasor.

We did think this issue had gone away due to fixes in related code (our existing repro's don't exhibit the issue anymore), but obviously not. So a solid repro would be a great help.

Hello @msmcleod

I've gotten so used to my workaround of only processing one audio clip at a time, that it's become part of my workflow.

I haven't tried your recommendation yet. I'll try again and post back here if it's still an issue. I typically have the most current version of CbB give or take a week.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, razor7music said:

Hello @msmcleod

I've gotten so used to my workaround of only processing one audio clip at a time, that it's become part of my workflow.

I haven't tried your recommendation yet. I'll try again and post back here if it's still an issue. I typically have the most current version of CbB give or take a week.

I tried a couple audio clips in two take lanes in the same track with no issues!! ☺️

5 hours ago, razor7music said:

I tried a couple audio clips in two take lanes in the same track with no issues!! ☺️

Yeah, we've found it really hard to reproduce this bug.  As soon as we can get a reliable repro, we should be able to get to the root cause.

It's just a theory, but I've a sneaking suspicion that it may be related to this (which we've now fixed):

In other words, clips that were affected by this bug in the past might suffer from the gain/normalize issue... but any other clip is fine.

• Like 2