Suddenly No Sound - SOLVED

Good morning all 

I installed Addictive Drums yesterday and all was working well. I left my computer for dinner and when I returned I lost the sound in Cakewalk BbB. AD  is working fine. When I do a drag and drop into CW it goes in as a midi track with no problem. The track is playing according to the meter but nothing comes out. I’m sure it must be a setting in Cakewalk that I’m missing somewhere. As I said, it was working well before I left it. But now after changing so many things looking for the problem it’s probably messed up even more. Some ideas about what I can do to get it working again would be so appreciated!!!

Edited by Oscar Myer

10 hours ago, tecknot said:

Have you tried resetting your audio engine?

Being so new to using only VSTs, I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know how to do this.  My old brain doesn't work as well as it used to.  😐

Edited by Oscar Myer

8 hours ago, scook said:

There is no mention of an audio track. A soft synth requires either an instrument track or at least one MIDI track and one audio track to play MIDI back as Audio. The Insert Soft Synth Option dialog may be setup to add just a MIDI track.

Thanks so much for the link!!!  I'm pretty sure I'll get it running tomorrow.  I was up at 2:30 this morning to have my wife at the hospital for some surgery.  I'm about ready to drop now so I won't look at it tonight.  I have the link you sent me bookmarked.

/OM

My problem was caused by the phenomenon known as "newb-ism" 😣

As Cactus Music pointed out, I was using AD as a stand alone.  I was clicking and dragging the instrument into Cakewalk without telling Cakewalk what it was that I dropped into it.  I'm slowly catching on to this new (for me) way of making music.

Next I have to read the AD manual to see how to drag it into Cakewalk as an audio track.  It seems that it is only showing up as a midi track when I bring it in.  The fact is, I should be reading the manual to try to solve problems like this one instead of bother you guys on the forum.

I'll find it!!!

Thanks for your replies... so much appreciated.

/OM

5 hours ago, Oscar Myer said:

Next I have to read the AD manual to see how to drag it into Cakewalk as an audio track.

The "Insert Synth" function mentioned by scook is your friend. Uncheck "Simple Instrument" in the dialog box and Cakewalk will give you an audio track and a MIDI track for Addictive Drums. Drag the loops into the MIDI track on the timeline, and Cakewalk will use the audio track to play them. If you are using loops it's far more flexible to use MIDI loops -- although Addictive Drums can generate audio loops too. For that, read the AD manual.🙃

You insert AD2 as a soft synth virtual instrument plugin.

If  you create a simple instrument track when you insert AD2, that track will contain a combined audio track for AD2 to output audio to, and a MIDI track where you can drag and drop MIDI patterns from the AD2 UI.

Or like Larry said, you can uncheck "Simple instrument track", and instead choose "MIDI Source" + "First Synth Audio Output". That will create separate MIDI and audio tracks for the AD2 plugin to use.

But bottom line, the drag and drop is for the MIDI patterns only as a way to get them from the plugin into your Cakewalk tracks. From there they will trigger the sounds in AD2 when they are played back with your project.

Edited by abacab

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...