sorry; how delete a portion of a MIDI track?

dogufo

Question

Hi, I´m new here and beginner with Cakewalk; 😀😀

I am struggling😵 because I can´t find the way to delete a portion of an empty MIDI track; I tried selecting the portion of the track and tried to delete it but without success; 😨 ... so thanks in advance for suggestions; 😀

Edited by dogufo

8 answers to this question

Are you working in the Piano Roll View?  You right click a note to delete or hold right mouse Lasso a group of notes and let go and right click on one of the highlighted notes. 

You should really take some time to watch tutorials as you asking a very basic question which is fine, but it's best to teach yourself as much as possible first and then ask questions when truly stuck.  

There's a Tutorial sub forum and I have dozens of midi tutorial as well.  See my signature for links.  

https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/cakewalk-videos 

• Thanks 1

Or in Track View...

1. Select the Smart Tool (star)

2. Hover the mouse over the clip where you want to begin deleting

3. Hold the Alt key and click the mouse (cursor will change to scissors)

You now have 2 clips. 

4. Select the clip you want to delete (if not already highlighted) and hit the Delete key or the Ctrl+X keys

5. Right click the remaining clip and select Bounce to clips.

• Thanks 1

You may also want to consider playing with the "Split MIDI Notes" setting if you're not getting the results you expect:

image.png.18b5a6eb5102ba49eba678329bf39974.png

When this is off, any note that intersects the selection will be deleted - regardless of its start & end time.

When this is on, the note will be split at the selection  boundaries, and only the parts that are covered by the selection will be deleted.

Also, if you want to "close the gap" after deleting, switch on Ripple Editing:
image.png.b7f0d669304f709577170a633ce6bc2c.png

Deleting with "Ripple Edit Selection" on will close the gap on just the parts you deleted.  "Ripple Edit All" will close the gap on the whole project.

On 4/9/2021 at 6:16 PM, John Vere said:

Are you working in the Piano Roll View?  You right click a note to delete or hold right mouse Lasso a group of notes and let go and right click on one of the highlighted notes. 

You should really take some time to watch tutorials as you asking a very basic question which is fine, but it's best to teach yourself as much as possible first and then ask questions when truly stuck.  

There's a Tutorial sub forum and I have dozens of midi tutorial as well.  See my signature for links.  

https://sites.google.com/view/cactus-studios/cakewalk-videos 

😅 thanks a lot Mr. Vere for you time to reply to my basic question ... I will surely follow your tutorials; ... actually my question, which I forgot to mention, was regarding on how to delete an empty piece of track (with pauses only). Because I don´t know wether it´s possible to delete an empty piece of MIDI track; 🙂🙂🙂  

On 4/12/2021 at 6:38 AM, sjoens said:

Or in Track View...

1. Select the Smart Tool (star)

2. Hover the mouse over the clip where you want to begin deleting

3. Hold the Alt key and click the mouse (cursor will change to scissors)

You now have 2 clips. 

4. Select the clip you want to delete (if not already highlighted) and hit the Delete key or the Ctrl+X keys

5. Right click the remaining clip and select Bounce to clips.

👌 thanks a lot ; that was the result I was searching for; 👍

On 4/12/2021 at 10:26 AM, msmcleod said:

You may also want to consider playing with the "Split MIDI Notes" setting if you're not getting the results you expect:

image.png.18b5a6eb5102ba49eba678329bf39974.png

When this is off, any note that intersects the selection will be deleted - regardless of its start & end time.

When this is on, the note will be split at the selection  boundaries, and only the parts that are covered by the selection will be deleted.

Also, if you want to "close the gap" after deleting, switch on Ripple Editing:
image.png.b7f0d669304f709577170a633ce6bc2c.png

Deleting with "Ripple Edit Selection" on will close the gap on just the parts you deleted.  "Ripple Edit All" will close the gap on the whole project.

🙂 thanks a lot for the particular description; but 🙁seems to me that in the version  27.01.0.085 installed of the program (in italian) there isn´t the option "ripple edit selection", but just the option "ripple edit all" (enable/disable) ; thanks in advance if you can suggest me how to select both option; 😅

Capture.JPG