problems with sound: kbd controller midi signals to cakewalk or buffering or processor, or... ???

dogufo

39 minutes ago, dogufo said:

good morning msmcleod, 😊

regarding my issue - (which has turned worst because now during the play of the notes, I got not only the stuck notes, but also the change of the voices of the synth sometime happens when I am connected via MIDI with bandlab) - I have tried with MIDI-OX and that´s what appeared to me without playing notes (pls see attached picture) thanks in advance for any help to solve the problem! best regards.

ScreenShot_20211215082841.jpeg

The input looks fine, but looking at the MIDI output, you've almost certainly got a MIDI feedback loop going on here.

What's more, it's echoing the program changes on all ports, although from the looks of it this could be how you've configured MIDIOX. The MIDI Port Routing window shows all ports connected to each other.  You don't want any additional routing in MIDIOX - just the monitoring.

It may be simpler to just take MIDIOX out of the equation.  

Luckily, I've got more or less the same gear as you... I've got a MIDI Sport 8x8,  Fatar StudioLogic 990 and an SY77 lying around.

I'll try to make time this evening to replicate your setup into a working system and let you know what the settings are.

15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

The input looks fine, but looking at the MIDI output, you've almost certainly got a MIDI feedback loop going on here.

What's more, it's echoing the program changes on all ports, although from the looks of it this could be how you've configured MIDIOX.

I have just installed MIDIOX and opened the three windows as shown in the previous picture; I didn´t make any other changes.

The MIDI Port Routing window shows all ports connected to each other.  You don't want any additional routing in MIDIOX - just the monitoring.

It may be simpler to just take MIDIOX out of the equation.  

Ok; anyway I have changed the MIDI devices setting only the ports wich I am using (A+C MIDI INS, B MIDI OUTS) and the MIDI port routing appears like in the picture attached

Luckily, I've got more or less the same gear as you... I've got a MIDI Sport 8x8,  Fatar StudioLogic 990 and an SY77 lying around.

very happy to read we have the same tastes!

I'll try to make time this evening to replicate your setup into a working system and let you know what the settings are.
that´s fantastic! many, many thanks for using your time. I am waiting for your next reply; have  a great day

p.s.: sorry, by the way, do you use the software sy.factory related to the synth Yamaha SY77?

ScreenShot_20211216022634.jpeg

Edited by dogufo
added more infos

@dogufo  - ok, I set up a similar rig as follows:

Fatar MIDI Out   ->  MIDISport Ch 1 In
SY77 MIDI Out -> MIDISport Ch 2 In
SY77 MIDI In -> MIDISport Ch 2 Out
SY77 L&R -> spare input channels on my audio interface

In CbB, the MIDI inputs & outputs were enabled to match the three above - i.e.   MIDISport In 1&2, and MIDISport 2 Out.

On the SY77 I turned local off - this is important, as otherwise you'll get MIDI feedback.

For the most part, everything worked as expected and  I could record/playback in CbB.

However, I did manage to reproduce the sticking notes.  At this point, I'm not sure whether it's CbB, or it's the MIDISport drivers.  There hasn't been any recent changes in CbB's MIDI behaviour, and the MIDISport drivers haven't been updated in a long time.

That being said, Windows updates have been coming along regularly, and it's not uncommon for them to break stuff with MIDI - it's happened before a few times.

I'll do a bit more investigation and get back to you.

Thanks for reporting this.

• Thanks 1

@dogufo - I can confirm the issue is with the MIDISport driver.

How I came to this conclusion:

• The stuck notes also happen in SONAR Platinum, and they certainly never used to
  • The MIDISport refuses to even appear as device within MixCraft or Reaper, and the device freezes on exit and needs unplugged/plugged back in
  • Replacing the MIDISport with a MidiTech Midiface 8x8 solved the issue, with no stuck notes

The MIDISport driver is now 8 years old, so it's not really surprising.

Most manufacturers needed to update their drivers for Windows 10 2004 / Windows 10 20H1.  For example, the Korg USB drivers stopped working when this update came out, and it took a month or two for them to issue a replacement.

I've not had the chance to try it yet, but I suspect if I try the MIDISport in Windows 7 it'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

On 12/16/2021 at 4:35 PM, msmcleod said:

• The stuck notes also happen in SONAR Platinum, and they certainly never used to
  • The MIDISport refuses to even appear as device within MixCraft or Reaper, and the device freezes on exit and needs unplugged/plugged back in
  • Replacing the MIDISport with a MidiTech Midiface 8x8 solved the issue, with no stuck notes

Most manufacturers needed to update their drivers for Windows 10 2004 / Windows 10 20H1.  For example, the Korg USB drivers stopped working when this update came out, and it took a month or two for them to issue a replacement.

I've not had the chance to try it yet, but I suspect if I try the MIDISport in Windows 7 it'll be fine.

@msmcleod many many thanks for your tests and reports! So in conclusion I should either change the interface to MidiTech Midiface 8x8 (in my case 2x2 will be enough) affording a cost or change os to win 7, but - sorry for the silly question - in this last case I don´t know whether cakewalk v. 2021.11 will be compatible with the old win7?

@msmcleod you wrote: "On the SY77 I turned local off - this is important, as otherwise you'll get MIDI feedback." ... well, if in of SY77 Utility I turn the MIDI channel set local to off, then the synth stops playing, only the master kbd Fatar is ringing... 

@msmcleod the following three pics are my actual configuration: do you think is correct? Did I choose the correct driver?

ScreenShot_20211224101918.jpeg

ScreenShot_20211224102003.jpeg

ScreenShot_20211224102103.jpeg

Edited by dogufo

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2021 at 4:35 PM, msmcleod said:

@msmcleod good morning, pls, ...you wrote: "I suspect if I try the MIDISport in Windows 7 it'll be fine. "  ... do you think that that could work if I install W7 on a virtual machine? Many thanks.

Edited by dogufo

3 hours ago, dogufo said:

@msmcleod good morning, pls, ...you wrote: "I suspect if I try the MIDISport in Windows 7 it'll be fine. "  ... do you think that that could work if I install W7 on a virtual machine? Many thanks.

It might work, but bear in mind a virtual machine will be significantly slower, and there's no guarantee that USB emulation will work.  A dual boot might be a better solution... although good luck with getting Windows 7 to actually install.  The last time I tried to install Windows 7, it wouldn't activate due to Microsoft retiring telephone activation for Windows 7.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, msmcleod said:

It might work, but bear in mind a virtual machine will be significantly slower, and there's no guarantee that USB emulation will work.  A dual boot might be a better solution... although good luck with getting Windows 7 to actually install.  The last time I tried to install Windows 7, it wouldn't activate due to Microsoft retiring telephone activation for Windows 7.

@msmcleod many thanks for your answer; please, ... I considered to buy another old notebook just for Cakewalk and the Midisport 4x4: it´s a Macbooko pro 2008. I think it might be no issues for drivers in that OS. Please, do you think that the actual version of Cakewalk will run on that old notebook?  

5 minutes ago, dogufo said:

@msmcleod many thanks for your answer; please, ... I considered to buy another old notebook just for Cakewalk and the Midisport 4x4: it´s a Macbooko pro 2008. I think it might be no issues for drivers in that OS. Please, do you think that the actual version of Cakewalk will run on that old notebook?  

Cakewalk is Windows only.

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2022 at 1:46 AM, msmcleod said:

Cakewalk is Windows only.

@msmcleod many thanks again; ... I am going to install win7 with dual boot; sorry, please may a I ask you again ... since my notebook processor is x64, ...to save space, is it enough if I install win7 edition home basic x86 (32bit) to use Cakewalk? Will the recent version 2021.12 of Cakewalk run on it? Or is neccessary to install the 64bit version of win7, or higer edition pro? Thanks again in advance. 

On 1/6/2022 at 9:18 AM, scook said:

Cakewalk requires 64bit Win7 or newer and while Win7 is not officially supported, Cakewalk does run on it.

Cakewalk will not work on 32bit Windows.

@scook many thanks; so I did dual boot and installed WIN7 home x64; I used a software to transfer the cakewalk  program from disk with win10 to disk with win7; unfortunately I encountered is some issues such the one in the pictures: please, if I re-install cakewalk, will all the previous setting lost or the reinstallation just repair the issues? thanks in advance.ScreenShot_20220113072956.thumb.jpeg.5e04c0a9971132cff7172adee2d20aff.jpegScreenShot_20220113073019.thumb.jpeg.a3d28edd0cfe7627e1cb268c93648774.jpeg 

Edited by dogufo

5 hours ago, dogufo said:

if I re-install cakewalk, will all the previous setting lost or the reinstallation just repair the issues?

Not sure what settings you are referring to, but the first error indicates a re-install.

The second error is a setup problem.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dogufo said:

@scook many thanks; so I did dual boot and installed WIN7 home x64; I used a software to transfer the cakewalk  program from disk with win10 to disk with win7; unfortunately I encountered is some issues such the one in the pictures: please, if I re-install cakewalk, will all the previous setting lost or the reinstallation just repair the issues? thanks in advance. 

A re-install normally leaves any user settings intact.

You should do a full re-install though, as it looks like it wasn't actually installed properly at all - i.e. you may have transferred the files, but it didn't go through the proper install mechanism.

• Thanks 1

Hey!!!  I was just about start a similar discussion with a similar issue.  I get a stuck note that continue on forever, but this seems to happen only with VPS Avenger synth.  I don't have the same problem with Omnisphere.

I have tried two different keyboard controllers--the Roland A-88 and the Behringer UMX610, both with their respective drivers installed.  Both exhibit the same behavior--a random stuck note.  There also seems to be a lack of reponsiveness with the keyboards, an occasional dead key strike.  When I use the virtual keyboard within Avenger, there are no stuck notes.  I cannot really play that virtual keyboard, of course. 

Moreover, I tried both keyboard controllers to trigger Avenger in Studio One.  No problem there!!  The problem is only in Cakewalk.  Is this a bug in the Cake?

I'm using Win10 with the very latest CbB.

Edited by saxon1066

On 1/13/2022 at 3:11 PM, scook said:

Not sure what settings you are referring to, but the first error indicates a re-install.

The second error is a setup problem.

@scook thanks again and again for your support! OK I reinstalled cakewalk and the error message didn´t appear again. I changed the audio driver from ASIO to WASAPI Exclusive and also that error message didn´t appear again.ScreenShot_20220115085129.thumb.jpeg.fa041732f4001f14e5f72d7901f81346.jpeg

Pls, is that setting OK? But unfortunately I can´t activate the program because it comes another error message that there is no internet connection, which is not true.

ScreenShot_20220115083543.thumb.jpeg.9a5fc48ae48cb63689b59c45a3485570.jpeg

I also allowed the program in firewall but the issue comes as well.

ScreenShot_20220115085904.thumb.jpeg.47bd73b91a450c139f87978bb1d8e132.jpeg

Does it maybe happen because these drivers are missing?

ScreenShot_20220115093201.thumb.jpeg.2b7bddcae03f75f617c7116f5946bd02.jpegScreenShot_20220115084814.thumb.jpeg.0a772cbe218458dc9bd2c01f9b024300.jpeg

Edited by dogufo
added more infos

On 1/13/2022 at 5:51 PM, msmcleod said:

A re-install normally leaves any user settings intact.

You should do a full re-install though, as it looks like it wasn't actually installed properly at all - i.e. you may have transferred the files, but it didn't go through the proper install mechanism.

@msmcleod I confirm, I think my settings remained after re-installation. But unfortunately I had other issues, which I described in my previous post; pls if you have time thanks for your support again to solve the problem.

P.S.: maybe it´s a silly question: ...do you know please whether in dual boot system is there a way to change OS without restart the machine?

@msmcleod I confirm, I think my settings remained after re-installation. But unfortunately I had other issues, which I described in my previous post; pls if you have time thanks for your support again to solve the problem.

P.S.: maybe it´s a silly question: ...do you know please whether in dual boot system is there a way to change OS without restart the machine?

No, a dual boot means restarting the machine and choosing the relevant OS on bootup.

Does it maybe happen because these drivers are missing?

Yes - if you're using VirtualBox, make sure you've installed the extension pack, and configured the network in the virtual machine's settings.  

Instructions on installing the extension pack can be found here:  https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=99355

For the network settings, either a bridged or NAT connection will work, depending on your requirements.

• Thanks 1