It's All For Sale REVISED (Freddy J and Lynn Wilson)

freddy j

REVISION NOTES:  First my apologies in my brevity but it is raining buckets outside and we have had gusts up to to 40-45mph.  The electricity has been out for about 3 to 4 hours but it is flickering and I'm not sure how long it will last.

Yesterday I received a new mix on this song from Lynn.  Lynn was responding to some of the comments below.  The vocals were increased in the verses, the drums were brought up in the choruses (to make the Tom Toms "pop"), and to my aging ears his excellent harmonies are coming through a bit stronger.  I thought the first mix sounded good but what he did with this second mix sounds even better.  Many thanks Lynn.

I have been working on this song for a few years now.  I have tried several iterations of it but these always would end up with me being frustrated and storing it away - only to pull it out at a later date and becoming frustrated again (is this another run on sentence?).  I recently pulled it out again but this time I got smart.  I have always admired the songs that Lynn has been posting on this forum.  I contacted him and asked if he might give me a hand in completing it.  Fortunately he said yes.  I forwarded him an mp3 of what I had done in my last attempt along with a few WAV tracks (e.g., drums, 2 rhythm guitar tracks, lead vocal and bass) and my plea to do whatever he could do to rescue this song.

Well, Lynn certainly came through in grand fashion!  He not only improved the tracks that I sent him but added: harmony vocals; a hot lead guitar (pan C) and rhythm guitar (pan R); some incredible synth riffs on the choruses; and cool E-Bow sounds on the outro.  I didn't even know what an E-Bow was until I looked it up.  As my mixing skills are limited, he even agreed to do the final mix.

Needless to say I am very grateful to Lynn for his help and rescuing this song.

I hope that you enjoy it and as always comments, suggestions, etc. are appreciated.

IT'S  ALL  FOR  SALE

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=963481&content=songs

Edited by freddy j
addition
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I want to thank Freddy for offering me the opportunity to work with him on this fine song!  His engineering skills made it so easy to work with his files, and very little processing was needed.  Mainly, his talent for writing lyrics shines in this song, and his voice is fantastic.  I had a blast, and I hope it shows.  Thanks to Bjorn and Jack for their comments!

Very cool collab gents! I figured you guys would make a good team! I like the manic quality outside of the chorus, slightly Oingo Boingo! The chorus itself, for me, seems a bit of an emotional dip as it returns to the more conventional, more sedated rhythm. It's not bad or anything, and you might like that respite from the high energy parts.

The theme I loved because wifey and I are starting to have that discussion of selling all of zee sheet and living Buddhist-style where your possessions are a bowl and some wi-fi.

I'd put a vote in for either slightly increasing the volume of the lead vocal in the verses, or more likely dipping the volume of the fuzzed-out guitar a bit so the lead vocal can pop more. Just the verses, the chorus all rings true.

great job both of y'all, and kudos to Lynn the Mix Whisperer!!!

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 1

freddy j, I love a good rescue story, glad you found a way to make this one work. I've got lots in the dumpster, but the truck hasn't come yet, so maybe I can still pull them out.  Great collaboration, lots of energy, and swirling things ! In the mix, there are parts where the kick gets lost somewhat, but there are lots of other things driving it along, didn't miss it 'til I thought about it. Also, it's fun that two great guitar players on the Cakewalk forum get together, love it.

• Like 1

Great song guys. Knew it would be ... although I feel Tom has a point regarding he's comment :-  ( I'd put a vote in for either slightly increasing the volume of the lead vocal in the verses, or more likely dipping the volume of the fuzzed-out guitar a bit so the lead vocal can pop more )

ATB

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Bjorn.  Thank you.  I really appreciate the kind words.  I was not happy with this song until Lynn came to the rescue, and then it was a barrel of fun.  Thanks again.

Hi Jack.  Thanks very much for the listen and kind comments.  I appreciate the UK reference.  I have been listening to a lot of music coming out of the UK recently.  What strikes me most is the diversity in genre, styles, and talent in what I have been listening to.  I appreciate your taking the time to listen and comment!

Hey Lynn. Thanks so very much for your collaboration on this song.  I had a skeleton of a song that needed help.  It needed a bit of "sizzle."  That is the best way I can describe it.  Well, you certainly gave it the sizzle and much, much more.  Given my limitations in mixing, I really appreciate your taking over that task also.  Hopefully, we can do another one in the not to distant future.  Thanks pal!!!

Thank you Tom.  Your thoughtful comments are always very much appreciated!  I am glad that you are keeping "WiFi" in the possessions that you are keeping.  In that way you can keep sharing your work on the forum.  You will do that won't you?!   And kudos indeed to "Lynn the Lynn the Mix Whisperer!

Hi Joad.  Thanks very much for listening and taking the time to comment.  I'm very glad that you liked it!

• Like 1

Hi Noyneker.  This song was bothering me.  I tried to trash it but it wouldn't let me go.  I appreciate Lynn's help in getting it out of the mud and cleaning it up.  It also was a lot of fun! Better get your castaway songs out of the trash bin before the trash truck comes.  Thanks very much for listening and your kind words are very much appreciated.

Hello Makke.  Thank you -- I appreciate the kind comments.  BTW, I very much liked listening to your recent post "Dark Eyes".

Hi Hidden Symmetry.  Thanks for listening and for your comments.  I just had a feeling that Lynn might be the person that would pull this number out of its rut and boy did he ever!  Thanks again.

Hi Steve.  Lynn took your and Tom's comments to heart and sent me a new mix which I have now posted.  Thanks for your insight and for listening.  I think that Lynn's changes have improved the song and should address your suggestions.  Thanks again.

Helloo Jesse.  I personally have not been "... taken, over and over" but I have been over taken a few times.  I'm glad that you liked it pal!  Thanks for listening and the suggestion.

Hi David.  Cynicism can be useful at times.  It can also be overwhelming at times.  This song was a bit different from the usual bluesabilly stuff but it feels good to go in a different direction every once in a while.  Thank you for listening and for the kind words David.

Hey Nigel.  I'm very glad that you liked this number.  It was a treat in doing this song with Lynn.  He certainly has some good ideas and talent!  Thanks for your kind comments -- they are very much appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...