1st SSD failure

kitekrazy

Did you get any warning that it was about to fail?

This is probably my only gripe with SSD's - they seem to suddenly fail without warning.

At least with HDD's they start to get noisy and/or you start getting bad sectors showing up.

50 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This is probably my only gripe with SSD's - they seem to suddenly fail without warning.

Me too. I always have this fear at the back of my mind that one day I will turn on my computer and the SSD will fail without warning.

HHDs can last forever.  I had to dig out my old Clevo laptop yesterday to do some recording (long story) - this baby is nearly 20 years old and it fired up Windows XP as quick as W10 - recorded non-stop without a glitch in Sonar 8.5.  Only bummer is that it's all in 32bit and I can't upgrade it.

2 hours ago, 53mph said:

Only bummer is that it's all in 32bit and I can't upgrade it.

Yeah, but considering what you are able to do with it, why upgrade!!?

You still remember how to use 8.5? : )

43 minutes ago, Grem said:

Yeah, but considering what you are able to do with it, why upgrade!!?

You still remember how to use 8.5? : )

I upgraded a long time ago through Studio, Producer and SPLAT to CbB.  I'm more than happy with all of them in 64bit. ;)

The reason I had to go back to 8.5 was because my audio interface for recording is firewire, and the firewire port on my HP Pavilion has stopped recognizing the interface.  So, I had to go back to the old trusted Frankenstein that is my Clevo (been rebuild a few times when I melted the motherboard....another story) to get some stereo mic recordings of a piano.

Interestingly, it wasn't that hard to use - it was also quite good too.  On XP, Sonar 8.5 works a treat - on my HP 64bit, it was as slow as an American President.

• Meh 1

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Did you get any warning that it was about to fail?

At least with HDD's they start to get noisy and/or you start getting bad sectors showing up.

No. The odd thing was a day ago there was this slight hum and it was not audio related. I also run diagnostics every week.   I use Seatools but after the crash the Intel and WD app caught the errors.

I was able to recover the drive by using a drive dock on another system with Acronis.  Funny how bad drives seem to appear on external devices.

I think a new rule for me is if your OS drive is a SSD buy an extra drive.  No RMA is fast enough for me.   I'm going to Best Buy and get a Samsung and wait for this Intel RMA.  This EVO 650 500GB is $80.

I'm surprise this Intel failed. From now on it's going to be WD since most of their drives are now 5 years.  I had to RMA WD platters and WD sends you a replacement and you send the other drive back. 

This is the first OS drive that failed for me.   I don't have 100% faith in SSDs and would only buy if the warranty is 5 years or more.

6 hours ago, 53mph said:

Me too. I always have this fear at the back of my mind that one day I will turn on my computer and the SSD will fail without warning.

HHDs can last forever.  I had to dig out my old Clevo laptop yesterday to do some recording (long story) - this baby is nearly 20 years old and it fired up Windows XP as quick as W10 - recorded non-stop without a glitch in Sonar 8.5.  Only bummer is that it's all in 32bit and I can't upgrade it.

I still have a collection of IDE drives in enclosures. IDEs seem to last forever.  In this system with the bad drive I have  a WD 500GB running via a SATA adapter.   I've had the best luck with WD Blue drives and had to RMA WD Black drives but those bad ones went bad within 6 months.

Back up, back up, back up!!!  And don't be surprised if your drive eventually fails, no matter what kind it is,

But I think that a solid state drive is not likely to give advance warning, in the way that a HDD can, mostly due to the design and lack of moving parts. Electronic failures tend to be sudden.

I had a friend who built a computer based on SSD several years ago, and I also added a SSD to my system about the same time. He tried to fire up his computer one day about a year later, and got the no boot device message from his BIOS. He ruled out the cables and SATA ports, and the drive appeared to be completely dead.

So he brought the SSD drive over for me to take a look. I hooked it up in an external dock, and even tried connecting it to a SATA port in my PC. But it was totally bricked.

My SSD is still showing 100% health after 3+ years. But I take an image every day! ;)

Edited by abacab

2 hours ago, abacab said:

Back up, back up, back up!!!  And don't be surprised if your drive eventually fails, no matter what kind it is,

;)

My system is up and running again.  Who knows when Intel will get around to my support.  I don't do back ups often, but maybe I'll do it once a week. I think another way to back up is to have a spare drive just in case. 

4 systems all SSD OS, one is from Corsair, another Intel, now a Samsung,  I have a Sandisk with a 10 yr, warranty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Backup images trump warranties!

Every. single. time. :D

Yep.  Anybody that does not make an image backup of their C-drive onto another separate drive, is just asking and waiting for disaster.  

For Windows 7 - Norton Ghost v.15 ($15 on Ebay), and if you have Windows 10 there is Acronis and 2 or 3 others.  Cost is around $40?

It's the absolute first thing you do to your computer after buying  or building it.  There's no excuse for neglecting this procedure.

And then you continually make new backup images with that software over the life of your computer after you install new software that you are confident is good and does not need to be uninstalled.

You restore your backup, then install your new tested software, and then immediately backup image it again.  So your image backup is always 100% clean, reliable, and up to date allowing you to restore and be up and running again in minutes.

I have copies of my backups in several locations, for all my computers.

Edited by Toddskins